Does the 4mb RAM cartige make your Saturn faster?

Does the 4Mb video-RAM cartige make you Saturn load games faster, think faster, improve graphics on regular games.......etc? Does it do any of that?

I believe you can, with an AR code, make Mortal Kombat Trilogy use the 4M RAM card even though it doesnt officialy support it :cheers

Yes, the 4Mb expansion cart makes your Saturn faster and even allows you to play some Dreamcast games (the earlier ones).

Yes I'm OK. It even allows you (if you buy the 3D glasses) to play some Capcom fighting games in 3D (not real 3D, but with background "further" than the fighting sprites). But this works only with the official blue Sega/Capcom cart, not the EMS or other third party carts.

Djidjo

But this works only with the official blue Sega/Capcom cart, not the EMS or other third party carts.

What a coincidence! Mine just came in today. Pray enlighten me further on achieving this wonderful display mode :)

The stereostopic 3D is made possible through matrix processing in the SCSP and the unmarked chip in the board that's actually the VDP3!

~Krelian

I thought SEGA scrapped that idea and thats why there is a software mod out there that allows the Xbox and PS2 to play old Saturn games with updated graphics?

hmm.

The stereostopic 3D is made possible through matrix processing in the SCSP and the unmarked chip in the board that's actually the VDP3!

Yeah, I don't know why eveyone's so shocked. It's common knowledge that Saturn was originally developed as a purely 2D console, and then Hideki Sato ordered the Saturn development team to add a stereoscopic video generator after Sony showed the capabilities of the PSX. That's why so few games support it.

So does the 4mb RAM cartige make your Saturn load levels faster? Does it improve the loading thimes a bit or not, does anyone know for sure? Have there been any professional test done, testing this?

It could certainly improve loading times for repeat loads, however most of the games that use the 4m cart require it, so it's kind of a moot point.

The games that don't use it are designed to use the regular amount of RAM in the Saturn, so I don't see how a RAM cart makes any difference at all.

btw, is that Mortal Kombat Trilogy PAR code real?

Back