DOOM III

Just curious if anyone else has tried out DOOM III, and what do you think about it? How smooth does it run for you, and what are your PC specs? Level 1 runs ok, but level 2 and 3 get slow to the point where my PC wants to die!! less than 1 frame per second! I know my PC is old now and I gotta upgrade yet again, what PC (intel) should I get to run this awesome game super smooth ~60 fps? My specs are:

old ass 2X AGP P2 motherboard with newest bios,

PIII-800mhz,

512 Megs PC133 Ram,

SB Live! 128 Bit,

nVidia GeForce4 MX 440-T,

DVD and CDRW blah blah blah.

hehe -- I wouldn't call your PC slow, but I'm sure most people's PCs are slow for DOOM III
smile.gif

unfortunately, considering that PCs are now like ~3,000 Mhz my 800 mhz just dont cut nothing but bread now.
tongue.gif
and barely that.

yeah but nobody needs 3GHz unless they're doing video editing/encoding, playing DOOM III, or trying to run a Saturn emu at full speed
smile.gif

sorry to get off topic

My 2.4ghz laptop with 512mb ram and 64mb radeon 7500 ran it slow. Every pc runs it slow. Thats why they call it an alpha.

yeah I know its an alpha but I figured at the E3 show they must have had some PC there to display it at a good speed? wouldnt they? Or did they set up a slow ass machine and say "hey come over here and watch this choppy looking shit man!",
smile.gif

Possible reasons why DOOM III runs so slowly for you, other than it being an alpha:

1. PC133 SDRAM is too damn slow. A game like this might benefit from DDR or Rambus memory.

2. The graphics card has too little memory for textures and/or its 3D settings aren't optimal for performance in Doom3. (Also, there's the thing about it being an MX...)

3. Outdated DirectX.

Other than that I think this PC should run Doom rather nicely, if not *quite* at 60fps...

i thought that the DOOM III was optimized specifically for the radeon 9700 at E3 thats why it may run like shit on anything else.

what really slows it down to nothing is holding down the shoot button with the automatic gun on enemys in levels 2 and 3. level 1 plays sorta ok.
tongue.gif
. and yes my ram is old and slow, Ive got DirectX 9 installed. and the thing about it being an MX card, its a decent card for overclocking, and gets good speed from most of my games... its just not as good as the other geforce card. But I got it for free so I dont really care. I also have the newest drivers for that as well.

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Feb. 08 2003, 11:00 am

i thought that the DOOM III was optimized specifically for the radeon 9700 at E3 thats why it may run like shit on anything else.

Yes, that is correct. The E3 demo was specifically optimised for the most expensive ATI card at the time. I'm not sure if this was the 9700 or something more professional. Hence, it runs like crap on anything other than that card. The game is meant to be coming to the Xbox, so you'd have to assume there is going to be some kind of optimisation in there. ???

I've been trying to resist downloading this, but since I got a new video card yesterday I may as well see how it goes. The decision to get a new card was made primarily for Doom III.

The extra bit of smoothness doesn't go astray in a heated Unreal Tournament 2k3 deathmatch either
smile.gif

Originally posted by Myname@Feb. 07 2003, 6:21 pm

I've been trying to resist downloading this, but since I got a new video card yesterday I may as well see how it goes. The decision to get a new card was made primarily for Doom III.

The extra bit of smoothness doesn't go astray in a heated Unreal Tournament 2k3 deathmatch either
smile.gif

so does that mean that if it doesn't run well, you're gonna be ticked that you just bought it?
smile.gif

1000th post!!!!!!

I would sell FAKK2 for a radeon 9700 card
wink.gif

Congrats racketboy, its even better after you hit your first millionth post.

smile.gif

so does that mean that if it doesn't run well, you're gonna be ticked that you just bought it?
smile.gif

1000th post!!!!!![/quote]

Well obviously I'm not expecting the alpha to run so well, but I couldn't contain my curiosity. Spammer
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Back