Doom3/Unreal2 Parody

Is Doom 3 going to be an X-Box exclusive title after all?

I would hate upgrading just for that bagger, just to find out I have to buy an X-Box also!

The long time it’s been on development has dropped the hype and I don’t think people care about it as much.

Unreal 2 for example, even though I was a fan of the original, kind of disappointed me with cheap story line, which the strongest factor of the original.

Unreal 1 felt like a movie, but as for Unreal 2, well... it felt more like a novel!

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:15 PM

Carmack would suicide if he was forced to make DOOM3 for Xbox only.

carmack should suicide now so we dont have to play his unoriginal and bland gamesanymore

Originally posted by Jurai+Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurai @ Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tagrineth@Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:15 PM

carmack should suicide now so we dont have to play his unoriginal and bland gamesanymore [/b][/quote]

id Software makes tech demos, not games. 😛

And consider that, judging by the number of good Quake2 and Quake3 based games, there will at least be a few amazing gems based on DOOM3's engine.

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:22 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Tagrineth
@Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:15 PM

carmack should suicide now so we dont have to play his unoriginal and bland gamesanymore

id Software makes tech demos, not games. 😛

And consider that, judging by the number of good Quake2 and Quake3 based games, there will at least be a few amazing gems based on DOOM3's engine. [/b][/quote]

ya true, hopefully theyll get the engine running smoothly

If my try at running the leaked alpha test version was anything to go by then I am HIGHLY unimpressed with it. I just don't see what all the fuss is about really.

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 6, 2003 @ 10:22 PM

I agree completely...

And, I am not impressed by the engine as well, just very heavy and detailed bump-mapped textures on low-polygon models... Oh... and lightning effects we have already seen in... Silent Hill 2.

just very heavy and detailed bump-mapped textures on low-polygon models... Oh... and lightning effects we have already seen in... Silent Hill 2.

Pssht. Silent Hill 2? Uh, no. SH2's lighting model is at least an order of magnitude less advanced than Doom 3's.

I don't know if I can agree with you guys... Q2 wasn't that hot, for sure, but Q3A is still, IMHO, the best deathmatch game in existence. I know Carmack's tiring of doing FPS games and game engines in general, but I'm totally psyched about Doom 3. If it can come close to recreating the thrill of playing through Doom 1 and 2 for the first time, then I'm all for it. I don't know how the multiplayer is going to turn out, but I'm sure the lighting will add some new depth, especially for mods.

Also, don't judge the game on the alpha. That build was quite unoptimized and incomplete, not to mention it's very old by now. I'm sure id have a lot of surprises up their sleeves that we haven't seen yet.

Originally posted by it290@Dec 7, 2003 @ 10:13 PM

Pssht. Silent Hill 2? Uh, no. SH2's lighting model is at least an order of magnitude less advanced than Doom 3's.

Ok, maybe not Silent Hill 2, but Silent Hill 3.

First off, Doom 3's lighting engine is completely new never done before stuff.. Doom 3 is being design to mimic light seen in the real world. Not just simply having 8lights to mess around with, the whole game itself is being designed around the way light reflects off the objects. I have a feeling that myself, and all of you are going to be horribly surprised what Doom 3 has in store.

Also, John Carmack has said that Doom 3 will be optomised to run on lower end systems, the leaked alpha test code is horribly sloppy and unoptimised, mainly since most of the models don't use anymore polygons than the models in Quake 3, they're just bump mapped very well.

And yes, it will be an X-box exclusive, Microsoft has been throwing a lot of money at ID to port it over to X-box only. And John Carmack has said that they're designing the game with the X-box in mind. So I wouldn't expect it to pop up on any other system.

Either way, I'm uber excited about Doom 3 and I think it's gonna kick some major ass. :banana

So which is it going to be? Released on for PCs

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Dec 8, 2003 @ 06:21 PM

Also, John Carmack has said that Doom 3 will be optimised to run on lower end systems...

Or an Xbox exclusive?

And yes, it will be an X-box exclusive

You don't seem too sure.

Given that "Xbox exclusive" is a fairly flexible attribute, if it is labled thus, it'll make an appearance on the PC sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by mal@Dec 7, 2003 @ 08:27 AM

So which is it going to be? Released on for PCs

Or an Xbox exclusive?

I believe Mr. Moustache was talking about it being exclusively for Xbox consolewise... this game will of course be making it to the pc. Makes sense how it would only be for xbox as M$ can throw money at it to keep it off of ps2 and GC. Not that it would look that great on PS2...and it really doesn't fit GC's target audience. As a plus, it look way better optimised for Xbox than if it were to be multiconsole 🙂

I've seen it announced for Xbox&pc only a couple of times now... just not recently.

---Ammut

Originally posted by gameboy900@Dec 7, 2003 @ 02:53 AM

If my try at running the leaked alpha test version was anything to go by then I am HIGHLY unimpressed with it. I just don't see what all the fuss is about really.

Um. Unless this is sarcasm, no. As I understand it the alpha release was tweaked for a specific card and even then got spotty performance. I'm not dying for the game either, but I don't think a leaked alpha is anything to base assumptions on.

But this is kinda sad. I mean, how long has this been in production? This and Duke Forever should either be released real soon, or just shelved. How could anyone possibly make money on either game after working on them for so damn long? I remember demo videos of Duke 4 soon after 3D came out. It is still in production, isn't it?

Well the official site just went up. It's a little light on for content, but the trailer is nice to look at.

I see what you mean by "heavy bump mapping" Des-ROW. 😉

It's not just bump maps people, its also specularity maps, and I believe, vertex maps (very useful for making models appear to have a higher polygon count - it makes no sense to complain about 'low poly models', its the visible detail that counts. I've seen 1000 poly models looking better than 3000 poly ones, and vice versa of course. It all depends on the skill of the modeler). If you want to see a similar engine, check out tenebrae.sourceforge.net and make sure to check out Willi Hamme's testmap - although this is a far cry from the production quality of Doom 3, its still impressive.

I'm sure the game will be Xbox exclusive WRT consoles, but that makes sense as the Xbox is the only console that would be able to run the game anything like it's meant to be IMHO - and even then, it will be a long way from its full beauty. Not to mention the fact that the game is heavily optimized for current PC GPUs, which the Xbox bears the closest relation to.

Back