dreamcast and ikaruga(h e l p)

im terribly confused

well i decided to buy a dc and an original ikaruga disc

the questions that made me lost my sleep-s e r i o u s l y!

1. if i buy a PAL DC (i live in Greece and we use 50HZ standard PAL as well as 220 volt) can i run my original ikaruga disc(JPN-NTSC)on my monitor via a VGA box

i heard that i cannot cause i've to use an utopia disc and the only way is to use a copy of ikaruga patched

why?i need to play my original title on my monitor!!

2.PAL DCs run ikaruga(A NTSC-JPN game) at 60 HZ?

3.a moddedregion-Free PAL DC can run the original ikaruga disc(JPN-NTSC)?

at what HZ?AT 60HZ?

can the modded(region-free) PAL DC run ikaruga on my monitor via a VGA box?

at what HZ?

thanx for ur time

Any game that runs on VGA will by default be 60hz. As for how to get there best bet would be to get a gameshark (or action replay over there I think). The boot disc is not good enough.

As for a moded system. I have no clue but chances are it would default to the hz used in that particular region. So for a jap game that would be ntsc and 60hz.

Ikaruga autodetects your system as either NTSC or PAL, and the Utopia Bootdisc can't force it into either mode. So, I am almost sure you'll play it in a 50Hz TV perfectly in your PAL DC.

Not sure about the monitor...

I had a MAJOR problem with the autodetection feature since I got a Brazillian DC, that is PAL-M (60Hz, NTSC resolution, PAL color system), and Ikargua kept thinking it was a PAL (50Hz) system, thus becoming unplayable. I had to patch my version to force it into 60Hz mode.

Ikaruga works perfectly fine and at 60hz on my PAL DC, same as all my imports. I've never heard of any imported games autodetecting the region when used with a boot disc.. Surely if the game/system had the chance to recognise it was being used in the wrong region, it'd refuse to play at all?

Originally posted by Myname@Jul 24, 2003 @ 06:12 PM

Ikaruga works perfectly fine and at 60hz on my PAL DC, same as all my imports. I've never heard of any imported games autodetecting the region when used with a boot disc.. Surely if the game/system had the chance to recognise it was being used in the wrong region, it'd refuse to play at all?

You tell this to my DC.

I'm pretty sure that having the game run with the screen scrolled vertically by 25%, with the screen flashing between greyscale and a green+magenta tones every refresh means a 50Hz signal in a 60Hz-only TV.

Many JAP games autodetect NTSC/PAL, but often they display a menu where you can manually choose your setting.

It's not the case with Ikaruga, and I simply could NOT make it run in NTSC mode with the Utopia Bootdisc, nor the Gameshark CDX. Ikaruga ALWAYS reverted to 50Hz. And it worked perfectly on a friend's system, that is NTSC.

Ooga Booga also autodetects my DC as being PAL, but I can force it into NTSC with the boot disc. But Ikargua plain ignored the bootdisks with me.

I can run all of my imports on my NTSC system (eur and jap games) perfectly using a Codebreaker. it's like a gameshark/Action Replay except about 10x better. I run stuff on a NTSC TV also.... Iwould definatly check one of these out. You can buy them new in the states for $10 and if they sell them over there then I am sure they are pretty cheap there also. Hope this helps

Back