Dreamcast Battery

I searched and didn't find any posts like this, so:

How do I change the internal battery of my DC? It loses all of it's settings if not played for some time.

Thanks.

I believe it's rechargable.

That's why it needs the settings reset it you haven't played it for a while - it hasn't been charging.

yeah mine has done it a couple times in the last few months...

been too busy to play anything other than my GBA lately :(

If I let it off only two or three days it doesn't reset but a week without energy makes it loses its settings. Maybe this is the normal behavior of the DC battery.

My DC collection is still small so I guess that I need more games to keep playing it more ;)

It would also depend on how long you play it for.

The longer you play, the more it should charge.

I feel so bad everytime the clock comes up after booting up my dc... its like a puppy with sad eyes looking at me with a "where have you been? I've been lonely" look.

Good thing it has only happened a couple of times...

---Ammut

I know what you mean. I've been having to reset the date and time on my DC a lot recently. :(

Here are the specifics according to Sega.com:

http://www.sega.com/support/supportsys.php...stems_dreamcast

Dreamcast uses an internal rechargeable battery to store its settings. Dreamcast should be turned on for at least two hours to initially charge the battery. The rechargeable battery should then last for 20 days when Dreamcast isn't being used.

The rechargeable battery in Dreamcast isn't a user-serviceable part. To have the battery replaced, follow the directions for Repairs before sending or bringing Dreamcast to an authorized Sega repair center.

I like the Saturn batteries more than the DC one. There is a CR2032 battery feeding the internal memory that you can substitute yourself. This battery type is pretty easy to find in shops. I bought three today. :thumbs-up:

I guess that sega should have its reasons to change this system to a internal, rechargeable battery. :huh

As a final note to this topic I bought a sealed Wacky Races game for my DC (Fun game, great cel-shading) and I'm playing it. After two weeks the DC didn't lost its settings. So I bet it (the battery failing) only happens some times. (I bought my DC new at a store but I bet it was sleeping in its deposit for almost five years)

Thanks for your help people! :)

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums, but I'm an old hardware junky. Here's a link to the battery you're looking for. Jamco carries them.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...roductId=252232

It'll cost you less then $2.00(US) plus shipping to get one. From that point it's just a matter of unsoldering the old one and dropping in a new one. For sure not worth paying sega another 50.00 for less then 5 minutes of very basic electronics work.

Even though these are rechargeable they do eventually go old and stop taking a charge. The chemicals in them were never meant to last forever.

Anyway hope this helps.

Later,

IceDragon[IDGN]

www.icedragon.com

Back