Dreamcast reset problem.

Hi peeps i need some advice my Dreamcast bless her is getting old :-( and recently after playing on her for a few hours she will reset her self right in the middle of a game usually after i complete a difficult part in a game.

I've cleaned the lazer lens and it still resets im hoping its not the fan or the power surply.

Does any one have any suggestions what it could be.

Thanks.

Atolmuk.

P.S. Is it true that the japanese Dreamcast is liquid cooled and would it be worth buying one.

IIRC the contacts between the power supply and the mainboard become a little dirty. Just removing the PSU and putting it back in again should help.

There are probably better solutions, search the forums and you should find something.

stick half toothpicks into the contacts of the PSU to force the spring part against the metal rods. it's a well known DC problem.

Thanks but do you have a guide at all cos im a novice at this and really dont want to break my Dreamcast.

Thanks.

Atolmuk.

Originally posted by Atolmuk@Jun 21, 2004 @ 07:11 AM

P.S. Is it true that the japanese Dreamcast is liquid cooled and would it be worth buying one.

"Liquid cooled" is a deceptive label for it. Some who weren't familiar with heatpipes tagged it as being liquid cooled. But it isn't the same as an actively pumped liquid cooling solution like watercooled PCs (or something even higher end with a refrigerant and a compressor). It's just using heatpipes, which have been around for a while, and have recently become popular with PC heatsinks.

Also, I don't know if that is strictly limited to Jap DCs. I think early US DCs had the heatpipes as well. However, later revisions didn't really run that hot, and if you don't have them, you shouldn't need them. The resetting problem is (as has been said) very common, and easy to fix. Fackue has a little tutorial.

http://www.consolevision.com/members/facku..._resetfix.shtml

It is likely that the problem will reoccur if all you do is follow that guide, but doing something like what Arakon suggested would provide a longer-term solution.

Hi :)

I had similar problem with Dreamcast.

One reason may be that the lid contacts are not making good contact and now and again the machine will think the lid is open,even though its not and hence reset the machine.

I had this happen to 5 dreamcasts and apparently its a common problem.

I opperate my machine with the lid slightly open,I have managed to rescue other machines though by cleaning the contact switch inside and also the lens.

Havent got round to doing it for my machine yet but it does work.

The contact in the dreamcast,That tell the machine that the lid is closed is very poor compared to the Saturn.

Hope this helps :)

Ian.

Back