DVD+/-R DL media support

schi0249

Mid Boss
I have a slim PS2 and an X-Box. I recently got a DV camera and am playing around with making movies. (no not those kind) Instead of using 2 DVD's I am looking at getting a burner that supports DL media. Does anyone know if the PS2 or X-box support this? The PS2 manual says it supports both DVD+R and DVD-R, however, the X-Box manual says nothing about supporting them.

Considering that all Xbox games are dual-layered games, and several PS2 games are dual-layed (Metal Gear comes to mind), I'd be quite surprised if they didn't support dual-layer DVD-R.

Use your brain cells, most movies are dual layer as well and both the xbox and ps2 can play them. The xbox however has bad feelings when it comes to playing recordable media.

No offense, but just because something plays DVD's doesn't mean it will play DVD-R or DVD+R. Some DVD players require you to adjust the booktype in order to make DVD+R's compatible. And I have also heard of some DVD players having compatability issues with DVD-R's.

Yeah, and also take laser in this calculations.

From my experience - Xbox - fine, games (+R). PS2 - fine, (-R), games needs to be patched.

All consoles e.g. Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS2 will be better off reading +R media as these can be bitset to dvdrom making them recognizable as -ROM(Pressed discs) media to the console and increasing compatbility to around 99%. +R Dual layer media is much more compatible again because it can be bitset to -ROM where as -R cant.

Thanks all. I ended up going with a burner that supports all DVD+ and DVD- disks. And it also has the ability to change the bit setting. Again, this has nothing to do with coping games or movies. I am trying to burn old vhs home movies and watch them. It's a project my dad gave me.

Back