easy-to-hack systems sell better?

when it comes to choose between the GC and XBox game libraries, it all depends on your personal preference.

When I make a list of games I would want to buy on for each of the systems, the GC list is longer.

Most of the XBox games are too "grown up" for my liking. I like the fun, cartoony games.

If the XBox had more Jap RPGs and party-type games I would like it more.

definetly needs jap rpgs

that one they have comming out seems ok but i dont like the look

LOL i thought xbox had too many party games

mabey im missing something on the GC list -- i keep looking and i still keep comming up with the same ones

i was very disapointed with metroid and zelda - kind of felt betrayed

i cant remember the name -- i keep thinking suikoden but thats on the psx -- it must be somethign with an s

ok i looked -- sudeki -- from what i remember -- when the xbox was in bad shape on the market -- the developer wanted to pull the plug on compleating the game and MS convinced them not to -- i wonder how that will affect the game

ok i looked again -- its not japanese --- i read an article a while back sayign it was japanese -- but i looked up the developer (climax) and they are based in LA

and it dosent look like an rpg any more but they are calling it one -- just like that blake stone game -- thats not an rpg - thats gauntlet -- even though it looks cool as a gauntlet type game

the people who only buy a system cuz its pirateable are the same ppl who need to rot in hell while being fucked by hitler and joseph stalin

people buy things for what ever reason that makes them happy -

i have no probelm with that

but in the case of games (it sucks if everyone does it)

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 16, 2003 @ 08:28 PM

Depends on how you make the system. If you take the common approach and make profits from royalties, then you'd make it as goddamned hard to hack as possible. If you make them cheap (PS, PS2) and actually make a profit on the console itself, then it's not such a concern.

You idiot, you have it totally wrong...

PSX and PS2 weren't sold at a profit for a very, very long time. PS2 was barely at a profit before the $199 drop, then it was obviously turning a deficit for a long time again.

GameCube is the first console in remotely vague memory to turn a profit from day 1, and it's completely unhackable at the moment.

GameCube is the first console in remotely vague memory to turn a profit from day 1, and it's completely unhackable at the moment.

I think some guys at a little-known English company might disagree with you on that one.
wink.gif

Yeah, I read on some forum that CD-Rs will destroy your Dreamcast because their data spiral is the wrong way around. Oh, and Playstations check for an original by looking to see if the disc is black or not.

Seriously though - even if this were true, aren't you kind of missing a method for producing a backup to begin with?

Originally posted by Jurai@May 21, 2003 @ 12:07 AM

the people who only buy a system cuz its pirateable are the same ppl who need to rot in hell while being fucked by hitler and joseph stalin

Eh, that's dumb. If I bought an Xbox, the only reason would be to have it modded. It has a great homebrew scene where you can play emulators, divx's, mp3s, etc on it. Not to mention a few great games (JSRF, PDO, TJ&E, etc).

I guess I'll hang up some swastika's now.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 27, 2003 @ 02:08 PM

Yeah, I read on some forum that CD-Rs will destroy your Dreamcast because their data spiral is the wrong way around. Oh, and Playstations check for an original by looking to see if the disc is black or not.

Seriously though - even if this were true, aren't you kind of missing a method for producing a backup to begin with?

what do you mean missing a methood

you can buy 1.5 GIG mini dvd disks and i would think the copy method would be the same as for ps2 and xbox -- and the freeloader disk would take care of the rest (if it were true)

you can buy 1.5 GIG mini dvd disks

Yes, you can.

i would think the copy method would be the same as for ps2 and xbox

The copy methods for PS2 and Xbox are not the same. Xbox games are copied by having a compromised Xbox system copy the files from the disc, while PS2 copies are done directly as their disc layouts are (mostly) standard. Gamecube would have to go the Xbox route, which leaves you with a bootstrap problem.

Has anyone seen the the video of someone "hacking" hacking the gamecube on Kazaa? its called gamecube_hack and it shows a dude in a ski mask playing a burnt copy os SMB2.

Back to the topic, i think that hackability does promote the sales of consoles, but mainly after their initial lifespan as die hard fans start to take over the scene. But i think that hacking is a dying artform, (sorry but thats just my opinion) it seems that less and less people are taking interest in hacking systems.

as long as there are techy people who dont want to pay for games - there will be hacking

but if the future systems endup being online only then i would think there would be a big slow down in hacking systems-- i could still see systems like that being hackable --but if they end up incorporating all of the proposed copyright stuff (like the police ware and various other things ) - i would think hacking would live more in techy land and not rampant the way it is today

Has anyone seen the the video of someone "hacking" hacking the gamecube on Kazaa? its called gamecube_hack and it shows a dude in a ski mask playing a burnt copy os SMB2.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's fake. There was a series of 4 or 5 videos, and the last one has a guy with his face painted with "DVR-A04" and he evidently burns the ISO onto a cookie, which then plays flawlessly.
blink.gif

Back