Elan Doree?

I saw a few pictures of this game in the Saturnin WIP thread.

Needless to say, I was interested, and went searching. Couldn't find anything on GameFAQs...at first. Googled, and discovered it was a Japanese game called Kouryuu Densetsu (which I assume means Dragon Legends, or something)...

Anyway, I jumped back to GameFAQs and found a review for it...and that person did not like the game. Apparently it had okay graphics, not as good as VF2 or NiGHTS, bad sound, and bad control because you could fall off the dragon...I think.

It looks like some kind of fighting game, but I've still got no real clue of what the game is actually like. In conclusion, I am still interested. Does anyone have a second opinion about this game?

I got the Saturn version. It's a 2 on 2 fighting game, where both characters ride dragon-like creatures (some pretty different). The characters are generic and uninteresting (they don't even have proper names, btw).

The graphics are on the very edge of being ugly. Character models are pretty low poly - proly the same polycount as the characters in Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'd expect a fighting game to have a bit more polygons on the character models than that, since there's nothing else on the screen. The levels are limited to 2D backdrop and a ground mode 7 plane, with seizure-induncing textures.

Talking about seizures, if you don't act cautious the game's resolution will drive you nuts. It seems they are using an interlaced high resolution screen mode, but the VDP1 buffer is draw in standard resolution (320x224) and scretched. That makes the hud look sharp, and all the rest flickers as hell.

The gameplay is a mess too. Moves are few, ankward, unbalanced and hard to perform. Fights can be summirized as a chaotic drunk ballet, until somone wins at random. The whole dragon concept is awfully implemented.

The music and sound... was there any music? I hardly remember it... well, it either didn't offend me as much as the graphics and gameplay, or it was so bad I plain forgot about it.

Only get this game if you find it really cheap, have money to spare, or stumble over an easy-to-get ISO. It's not even worth hunting down for a download.

Once every 4 or so months, while browsing my Saturn games, I stumble upon it and think to myself "hmm... this can't be that bad, let's give it a run", only to find that, yes, it is that bad XD

I can't even play it for more than half an hour before throwing it straight back into the storage. And that comes from someone who got all the unlockables in the infamous D-Xhird, regarded as one of the Saturn's worst fighting games.

Elan Doree by no means is the best fighter and maybe not a good one, but it's kinda hard to compare when you fight hovering in mid-air atop a dragon. Though I have to agree it isn't worth the high price asked of it.

The characters are generic and uninteresting (they don't even have proper names, btw).

What do you call proper names?

Kain, Keyaki, Sion, Tina, Marielle, Levie, Eriorna, Garnic, Rubone, Gulf, Kaiser Dragon

The graphics are on the very edge of being ugly..... The levels are limited to 2D backdrop and a ground mode 7 plane, with seizure-induncing textures.

The 2D backgrounds are rather nice. The 3D models are blurry looking though. They do manage to use some transparent polygon effects.

Talking about seizures, if you don't act cautious the game's resolution will drive you nuts....That makes the hud look sharp, and all the rest flickers as hell.

Last Bronx flickers loads and Elan Doree isn't much worse than Anarchy in the Nippon in that regard.

The gameplay is a mess too. Moves are few, ankward, unbalanced and hard to perform. Fights can be summirized as a chaotic drunk ballet, until somone wins at random. The whole dragon concept is awfully implemented.

Not sure about unbalanced but it is hard to get used to the fact that some moves can only be used when there is still a certain amount of energy left in the dragon-power meter. The dragon novelty, aside from its own projectile attacks, seems to be for just for ramming attacks, flanking maneuver and the threat of falling off your dragon, leaving you screwed to enemy attacks until you can get back on your dragon again. It's basically a strange 2D fighter.

The music and sound... was there any music? I hardly remember it...

The music is ok. Nothing standout-ish but neither is much of Panzer Dragoon's music.

And that comes from someone who got all the unlockables in the infamous D-Xhird, regarded as one of the Saturn's worst fighting games.

D-Xhird isn't that bad, just stiff. Though the character Schneider is another story. It had some interesting concepts for a 3D projectile fighter.

Well that's strange...they make it look quite good. And worth a buy.

Any more opinions? There's a lot of conflict here.

It just plays weird. It's playable if you know what you're doing. But it still really isn't a game that'll suck you in, unless you're a scalie. It's just different. :huh

Back