Email

Yes, they are active.

What email program are you trying to use? I'll walk you through it. CWW80, you have ALOT wrong with your pc.

Well, I'm using Eudora for the first time, if you have any other recommendations for a good email client on the Mac, tell me.

Personally I find Mozilla mail and Outlook Express to shit all over Eudora... but thats just me...

I continue to use Eudora 3.0.6*no ads* for over 3 years now. I find it does all and more than I need to use. I prefer READING text email, instead of being sent nasy HTML mail filled with images. . . but if I want to view my HTML email I can easily rightclick and view it in my brower. *the way it should be*

The only gripe I have is that I need a Eudora install for each email account. I wish this version supported mulitple accounts. You can easily copy the .DLLs, .EXEs, and the .hlp file into a new folder and *vola* and new install.

blah, blah. look at me go on. but I have to defend any version of Eudora when someone compares it to "lookout express"

I like the feel of Outlook Express more.

Anyways, I still can't send mail, but I can receive it.
I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what exactly is wrong.

Here's the setting I have for sending mail:

SMTP server: mail.tendoweb.com
--anvanced settings--
(open checkbox) SMTP service requires secure connection (SSL)
Override default SMTP port: 25
(open checkbox) SMTP port requires identification

Should I check any of the unchecked checkboxes or change the SMTP port #?

Hmmm....

You should still have to use your local ISP to send mail. If the server allows anyone to send without being connected directly to it, it will become a MAJOR security flaw, leaving it accessable to those who send spam mail. When that happens, access to the server will be blocked by most major ISP's, and any e-mail sent from it, whether legit or not, will be blocked by spam blocker software.

So does that explain why I can't send mail?
I'm using a free ISP that doesn't provide email addresses to the users.

Still no luck...

Here's the error message i get:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.tendoweb.com', Server: 'mail.tendoweb.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

(Edited by cww80 at 11:06 pm on June 30, 2003)

Quote: from VertigoXX on 12:20 am on July 1, 2003
If the server allows anyone to send without being connected directly to it, it will become a MAJOR security flaw, leaving it accessable to those who send spam mail.

No, the server still requires a login, but it's just "username" rather than "username@tendoweb.com" as Ice had originally said.

Back