ems/datel confusion..

Originally posted by Pandor@Sat, 2005-08-06 @ 03:40 AM

I was wondering what the deal was with ems/datel cartridges.

I own a Datel Pro action replay, but looking around the net is see:

Action Replay Pro for Saturn (EMS Production)

Action Replay 4M plus for Saturn (EMS Production)

Action Replay Plus for Saturn (EMS Production)

afaik Datel only released the Pro action replay, so i thought those EMS carts where just a ripoff with 1M and 4M memory added, but what about the Action Replay Pro then?

is the EMS Action Replay Pro just a 3rd party ripoff?

[post=137989]Quoted post[/post]​

The Datel and EMS carts seem to be the same. They even have the same interface and functions. The only difference is the added support for the RAM carts. I remember seeing a site years ago (back in 1997 or 1998) where both Datel and EMS had each other products on each others website. I don't know if it's still like that though.

Action Replay Pro for Saturn (EMS Production): Is just a memory card, Action Replay, Region switch

Action Replay 4M plus for Saturn (EMS Production): memory Card, action replay, region switch, 1M RAM, 4M RAM

Action Replay Plus for Saturn (EMS Production): memory Card, action replay, region switch, 1M RAM

I know what their functions are, lordofduct.

I was just wonder how it is possible that 2 companies have the same product.

As the 'Datel Pro Action Replay' and the 'EMS Pro Action Replay' are the same thing.

So the question was more like, "did EMS rip Datel off" by copying their design (and later on adding functions like the 1M and 4M) or did they buy the design from datel...

Or maybe EMS is the actual designer and Datel bought it from EMS...

Just wanted some clarification.

i've done some more research on google and this is what i came up with:

Quote from http://sadbuttru.tripod.com/5.htm:

Some Pro Action Replays play copied/imported games and some do not! The reason for this is that there are two companies that make Pro Action Replays, EMS and Datel. Datel's Pro Action Replays, like the first GameSharks, would play copies/imports no problem. But like Interact, once Datel learned of their enhancers hidden function, they instantly got rid of the spin down feature, rendering their enhancers useless to play copies/imports. EMS on the other hand, not only kept the feature, but played the market by advertising this function and even included springs with their units! Datel, realizing that this can be harmful to their reputation, and being the legal owners of the Pro Action Replay name, have taken EMS to court. The results of the lawsuit are unknown to me, however I DO know that EMS complied by changing the name of their unit to the Gold Finger.

This is for the PSX AR.

Since EMS' cartridges openly use Datel's software I would be somewhat surprised if they hadn't licensed the design. There are plenty of no-brand import/cheat cartridges that use EMS' version of the software, these are probably unlicensed clones.

I believe Datel also licensed to Karat in Japan as it sold cart based on Datel just like EMS... Though they have their own product as well like x10 Direct Save compatible backup memory cart...

Back