EMS Pro Action Replay Plus

Evil Jane

Ban Hammered
Is the EMS Pro Action Replay Plus compatible to play all 1M and 4M SS Games? Also, i have the PAR cart ver.194, is it possible to update it to ver.2.1? if does, how to update it?

Is the EMS Pro Action Replay Plus compatible to play all 1M and 4M SS Games?

As far as I know, EMS does not make a "Pro Action Replay Plus". I have seen:

Pro Action Replay: no expansion RAM

Action Replay Plus: 1M expansion RAM

Action Replay 4M Plus: 4M expansion RAM, mostly compatible with 1M games (many people seem to experience minor graphical glitches with the Samurai Spirits games)

Also, i have the PAR cart ver.194, is it possible to update it to ver.2.1? if does, how to update it?

Most Action Replay carts and clones can be updated if you can find the appropriate firmware, but this normally requires a commslink (AR-specific parallel port) connection. Is this cart made by Datel or EMS, and which specific model is it?

Someone else will have to answer the compatibility question, all the different names and types of carts confuse me.

Anyway, to upgrade you need a Commlink card, cable, a DOS boot disk and the upgrade software. Connect your Saturn to the Commlink, boot to DOS, run the update program and wait. Updating takes a pretty long time and you get no visual feedback, but don't interrupt the program or you'll probably have a dead cart.

Remember to only update with the correct version of the software, ie. EMS software for EMS carts, Datel software for Datel carts. AFAIK, the newest EMS software is 2.02 which can be downloaded from here. Another thing to remember: the update process will wipe out all saves and cheats you've stored on the cart.

I was actually wondering about gettng my Action Replay 4M Plus updated also... I think I have like v2.01 or something... but what I was wondering... if some ppl have the right setup.. and would be willing to update my device to the latest version... I would pay for shipping there and back.. and a fee if the person required it... and this is what mine looks like... the same one on the EMS page http://www.hkems.com/product/saturn/ss-4MP.htm

That's the same cart I have, and I've flashed it to 2.02. (Well, I had to try. I was playing around with the support software and the FreeWing software under W2K, trying to do a memory grab with the result that the cart would boot to a black screen. Fortunately the update program revived it.)

However, I'm sure you could find someone closer to do the job, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I haven't found any differences yet, they haven't even corrected the spelling of their company name on the splash screen!

where are you from? just wondering... I'm from Ontario, Canada.... so if anyone who lives closer to me.. and cand do the upgrade for me.. please let me know... so far the one game I have had troubles with when using the cheat codes.. is Magic Knight Rayearth.. the game plays fine.. but it's funny to see some the graphics lag a little.. was hopping the new update would fix that.. =
happy.gif
=

I live in Finland, so mailing the cart around the world and back will not be cheap and will take some time.

Back