Ex-Ranza / Ranger X questions

Originally posted by RedAngel@Wed, 2005-03-30 @ 06:17 PM

Toy Story has static screens with more than 100 colours, it even has one with 165 colours at once.

[post=132321]Quoted post[/post]​

Anyone know how many colours Lion Heart on AMIGA500 used at once on screen?

The A500 was supposed to be able to display 32colours or 64Half Bright colours on screen, but Lion Heart looks like 256 in some places.

What technic is used?

It increases the number of colors. It's basically the same thing you see used in a lot of demos for copper bars, plasma, etc. That's what's used on stage 1 anyway. Thalion might have used other techniques for some of the other stages. Also, I think they used some other trick to get the water transparency effect.

Ii´s curious but I have seen much more SNES games with less than 100 colours than with more than 200 colours. A lot of games used a gradient so the image look with more colours (but I don´t know if it´s like the Amiga gradient).

Part of it is to save ROM space, I assume. And in general it's stunning how an experienced pixel artist can make a lush background with only a handful of colors... there's a tutorial floating around (can't recall the name at the moment) that analyzes Final Fantasy 6 and Seiken Densetsu 3, and some stuff you just will not believe until you see it... whole swaths of stuff done in < 10 colors that just looks amazing.

Yeah, but if you use a 256 color palette overall, you can save just as much space by having certain sprites and so forth use fewer colors. Of course it's unlikely that with a 256 color palette the artist is going to actually use all 256 at any given time. With the low resolution of the SNES, and given a medium-small sized sprite, for example, you can't really make much use out of more than 2-3 shades of each color you're using in the sprite. 16 colors is generally more than enough for your average sprite, and combining a bunch of those with a 128-color background layer, your raw space usage is going to be about the same as it would be if you had used the same 16 colors for all the sprites. Of course compression is a factor, but I don't think serious compression was used on many SNES games anyway... although SFA2 uses some pretty heavy compression, I would imagine.

Back