file sharing with Windows XP, to a win2k computer

I've run Network Setup Wizard and chose my configuration (cable modem -> switch -> computers), I've disabled Internet Connection Firewall, simple file sharing, changed workgroup names, and I still can't see my other computer that is using Windows 2000. I can access the Internet though, but that's about it. Anyone else ever have this problem before?

dnguyen800: DONT do that...

You shouldnt connect a cablemodem to a switch, that way when you share files over your 'domestic' LAN they'll be accessible from the internet... HomeNetHelp Guide

There are many guides in Internet Sharing on the web, basically if you dont want to use a router (wish will be the best option for sharing internet for several pc's, but its also the most expensive one...), the other way is to make a PC work as a router... ie. having 2 network cards in that PC, one of them connected directly to the cablemodem, and the other one connected to the switch, this way (providing that this PC is powered ON and running a rounting software.. like windows Internet Connection Sharing, ICS) all computers will access the web as if they were THAT PC...

Anyways, I dont think using that setup (cable modem -> switch -> computers), ALL PCs will be able to use the internet, assuming that your ISP only 'gives' you an IP, will only allow the first PC that logs on the network to access the internet...

In not really sure about this.. but that setup isn't the best one for sure..

It may seem as if I haven't answer your question ...
smile.gif

I think the 2 pc's cant connect to each other because of their IPs not being in the same subnet mask...

You *could* try to set up fixed IPs... like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 both on the same submask (255.255.255.0), BUT this way.. you wont be able to use the internet, as one of those computers has to have the IP assigned by your ISP 'via' the cablemodem...

You need to (re)set-up all your LAN...
wink.gif

ibarracudai, is it still not safe to share files if users can only access my files if i create an account for them? And if I install two network cards and connect those to the modem and switch, would I have to leave the computer turned on so other computers can access the internet?

humm, you can create those accounts... but still it isn't safe... windows has many security flaws.

And yes, you'll have to leave that computer turned ON, so that the others can access the internet...

But, with that set-up you can access the internet with both pcs?

yeah, i have 4 computers hooked up to the switch, each computer has it's own IP address, i guess it's assigned automatically. I guess I'll get a router, but can I connect my switch to one of the ports on the router, or will i have to buy an 8-port router?

Originally posted by dnguyen800@Apr 26, 2003 @ 05:13 PM

yeah, i have 4 computers hooked up to the switch, each computer has it's own IP address, i guess it's assigned automatically. I guess I'll get a router, but can I connect my switch to one of the ports on the router, or will i have to buy an 8-port router?

Good luck finding a router that DOESN'T have at least a 4 port switch built in. That should be just fine for you. If you need more pc's connected you would just connect your current switch to one of the ports of the router and you get 3 more connections.

i guess i was lucky, i found some discontinued D-Link 2-port router on ebay for $5, hopefully I'll win. But one more question, after I install the router, will I have to change any settings in my Windows XP computer to detect my other computers, or will the router fix all my problems?

Originally posted by dnguyen800@Apr 27, 2003 @ 12:12 PM

i guess i was lucky, i found some discontinued D-Link 2-port router on ebay for $5, hopefully I'll win. But one more question, after I install the router, will I have to change any settings in my Windows XP computer to detect my other computers, or will the router fix all my problems?

You need to enable netbios on all the pc's (it's somewhere in the tcp/ip settings) and make sure you block the netbios ports on the router to prevent people on the outside from taking a peek. Also go to grc.com and run their sheilds up thing (both steps) to find out if you have any ports open that could cause problems.

You could do something as follows:

Get two NICs, set one up for the internet and the other for LAN

From the LAN NIC run it to a hub

Using a program like 'SOHOConnection' establish a proxy between the LAN NIC and the other computers (which involves assigning an IP to the LAN NIC, nothing very hard).

You're done.

Currently I have my desktop machine running sohoconnection (Win2K SP3) and my laptop running on the proxy (WinXP SP1). I share files, the printer (which is connected on the desktop machine), etc. I am not using a hub, I'm using a crossover cable to connect the two, but since you have four pcs, it might be wiser to get a hub.

Total cost to me was $20 (10 for the cable and 10 for the NIC; Sohoconnection is free).

yeah, i heard about that two NIC method, the only problem is that I have to leave that computer on 24/7, and I don't plan on doing that. Anyways, I just bought a 2-port router, but i'll try that Sohoconnection if I can't get the file sharing to work.

satwebmaster: hey, its been a long time, i see that your website is still online, very nice. I haven't been doing much, just studying and selling my game collection.

mebbe someone coan answer this for me. got one dsl account put into my router. got two pc's both with winxp (and sp 1). how the heck do i transfer files between the two?

A couple of questions...

What version of XP are you using? "Professional" or "Home?" Also, do you have both computers set up on the same domain name? (With Pro and Win2k I know this works. I am not sure about Home Edition though.)

Another thing is that you might want to try the "Remote Desktop" feature if you have Pro.
smile.gif

i got file sharing to work, here's how i did it:

on the windows 2k computer, i have the following protocols installed(you can see this by right-clicking on "My Network Places" and selecting "properties"):

NWLink NetBIOS

CLient for Microsoft Networks

FIle and Printer SHaring for Microsoft Networks

NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport protocol

NetBEUI Protocol

Internet Protocol

In the advanced properties of "internet protocol", go to the WINS tab, select "use netbios setting from dhcp server".

In the windows xp computer, turn on "simple file sharing" (look at homenethelp.com for instructions), turn off Internet Connection Firewall, install NWLink IPX/SPX protocol and it should install NWLInk NetBIOS with it. Also in the advanced Internet Protocol settings, select the default netBIOS setting if you haven't done so already. I think that solved my problem, but beware that this setup may be unsafe.

You don't need IPX/SPX for anything anymore unless you have some old novel servers you need to access. All you need is "client for windows networks", tcp/ip and file and printer sharing. That should be all you need from the protocol point of view. You need to make sure that all of your pc's are using the SAME workgroup name. Also in tcp/ip settings make sure you enable netbios so that you can see the other computers from yours. If you are running winxp or win2k you will also need to enable the guest account (it's normally disabled when you install).

WORD OF WARNING!!!!!

If you use file and printer sharing you are exposing your shares to the internet!!! You MUST have some sort of firewall that will allow you to block all external access to ports 137 to 139. A good test to see just how much you're exposing is the Shields Up test at grc.com. It will tell you which ports are exposed to the net.

Alternative way that is no longer supported by MS:

As of WinXP MS no longer supports the NetBEUI protocol. HOWEVER, they do provide it on the winxp cd (at least the pro one). This protocol offers more efficient file transfers than tcp/ip does and was specifically designed for peer to peer transfers (which is what you're doing). You can install this protocol of the cd (for win95 to win2k it's one of the available protocols). Once you have done this you need to remove the bindings between tcp/ip and file and printer sharing. To do this go to the Network Connections in Windows Explorer (it's under the control panel folder) and in the advanced menu select advanced settings. Choose the connection you use in the window that comes up and underneath deselect the checkbox under file and printer sharing for tcp/ip.

Hope this helps.

Back