Final Fantasy VII & VIII

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

ok, i'm looking at the graphics here, so which version of FFVII & FFVIII is better to buy, the PC versions or the Playstation versions (running in enhanced mode on my PS2)?

thanks.

P.S. whatever answer you guys give, is that typical of PC vs. PSX (on PS2) graphics, for my future purchases?

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

They did a really crappy job of porting FF7 and 8 to the PC. I'd get the PSX version and either run it in an emulator or on your PS2.

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

Yup. The PC versions SUCK. Especially 8. I own both, and the video on 8 skips all the freaking time. There are a few good (or at least decent) PSX -> PC ports, like Metal Gear Solid, but the FF games definitely aren't.

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

FF7 PC got a few improvements and a few problems. The 3D engine is a tad improved with dynamic lighting during exploration (not in battles), and the polygons won't keep shaking like in PSX games (animation is fluid most of time). But the FMV quality is really low. They should've used everyday MPEG, but they used Duck's Truemotion, and with shitty encoding settings.

FF8 PC looks exactly the same as the PSX version running under EPSXE. This means polygons will suffer the horrible parkinson-style shaking that plagues 99% of all PSX games, regardless of the resolution you choose. In the FMV side, they are in a higher resolution than the PSX version, and look very sharp.

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

but look at it this way too -- you can play the PSX versions on a PSX, PS2, and the PC

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

Also... FF8 suffers from horrible glitches when using even relatively modern video cards. I don't know about 7 as I haven't played it in ages. Another downside to playing it on a PC is that the backgrounds look really really crappy, you can see the lack of resolution much more easily.

Final Fantasy VII & VIII

Thanks i'm definitly convinced to stay away from the PC version, i guess that makes it easier for me since the PSX versions are cheaper and easier for me to find ;)

Back