Final Fantasy X-2

Cloud121

Established Member
Well, I got the newest OPM in the mail yesterday. They usually clutter the cover (RHYMES!) with other stuff, but this time it's just "Final Fantasy X-2" <_<

Anyway, I can say to you now, this is gonna blow. The battle system goes back to ATB. Now, after FFIV - FFIX you'd expect this to be no problem, as it's great in those. However, in this one, it is FAST! You REALLY have to enter commands in a flash if you wanna get anywhere. I'm probably just too used to the turned based battles of PS, PSII, PSIII, PSIV, Chrono Cross, and the slower ATB systems. The whole transformation thing that they were hyping. It's hard to do so, while still worrying about the fight, due to it's speed. I transformed Yuna and Rikku into the Swordswoman outfit, (as Paine is by default), and they had the EXACT same commands as Paine. I was dissapointed by this.

Also, the victory music is not the traditional FF one. It's some weird composition that doesn't really fit. The adventure elements (press Circle and you can jump, and climb at certain parts) is pretty cool, but... it just seems too... EH! I dunno.

The VAs from FFX are back. Yuna sounds WORSE (and she sounded bad in FFX...), Rikku sounded great in FFX, but now she sounds EXACTLY like Bubbles from Power Puff Girls (The VA that does Bubbles, did Rikku in FFX and FFX-2). Paine sounds just as I thought she would. Badass as hell, while still looking jaw-dropping good :drool:

The character designs are... eh... It's clear Square released this for the fucking Rikku fanboys in mind. UGH! I just hope I can get used to it, by the time I buy the final product (comes out on the 18th of November), in January or February.

OPM has a whole section on the disc dedicated to FFX-2. The Eternal Calm prequel (which was included in FFX International), a Video, and the Demo. I was laughing my ass off at the beginning of the video.

"From time to time, a game emerges that is so fun, and so addictive, that it becomes ruler of it's genre. In the world of Role-Playing Games, the Final Fantasy series is King." :bs :blink: :looney :blah

Yeah, to those who haven't played Phantasy Star, Chrono Cross, Ys, Breath of Fire, etc.

It becomes ruler of it's genre eh? Um... it came out in 1994 under the name "Phantasy Star IV" :bow

Anyway, this is the best Demo Disc is clearly OPM's best one since August 2002 (which was the last one that had quite a few big name game demos). Check this list out:

Final Fantasy X-2 <_<

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (After seeing the commercial, and knowing the storied history of Castlevania, this is big! I love Castlevania, and CVIII. I've been dying to play SoTN/Dracula X for as long as I can remember)

XIII (Been getting hyped for months. It seems pretty cool)

Need for Speed Underground (After playing... HOLY SHIT! THOSE ARE PoS2 GRAPHICS!!!!????!??! UNBELIEVEABLE!)

NFL GameDay 2004 (Been wanting to play this for quite awhile, I'd say it's a VERY CLOSE second to 2K4 for this year)

NCAA GameBreaker 2004 (Iowa State isn't playable.... <_< although all NFL teams are available in the GameDay demo, I was hoping for all 117 teams to be available in the NCAA demo)

Secret Weapons Over Normandy (Haven't played yet)

I-Ninja (Haven't played yet either)

That's quite the list of big name titles. I'm gonna play the GameDay demo some more. I still need to play the Castlevania demo though....

I still laugh my ass off at that FFX-2 video. :lol:

I already finished Final Fantasy X-2 months ago and I really loved it, the battle system is great, the graphic engine is better, I liked it very much.

Cloud, if you think FFX-2 is too fast, just go into the subscreen, go to the config, and TURN THE ATB SPEED DOWN. That option has been in every ATB-enabled game except Chrono Trigger and IIRC also FFIV. MAYBE FFV, but it's been a while since I last played that one.

And go ahead, call it blaspheme if you want, but I really did not care at all for Phantasy Star 2 or 3 (only ones I played at all)... and while I adore Breath of Fire, IMO Final Fantasy is still tops... with one exception, Panzer Dragoon Saga. :D

Arg, I just still can't understand why they decided to make a sequel for one of the worst FF games. Oh well, at least FFTA is pretty good. I guess I've just become disillusioned with console RPGs for the most part- every once and awhile a good one comes along, but most of them are just so generic.

Originally posted by it290@Oct 31, 2003 @ 09:24 PM

Argh, I just still can't understand why they decided to make a sequel for one of the worst FF games. Oh well, at least FFTA is pretty good. I guess I've just become disillusioned with console RPGs for the most part- every once and awhile a good one comes along, but most of them are just so generic.

You damn right! I LOVED FFX once I first played it and beat it. But after playing the likes of Chrono Cross :bow, and Phantasy Star IV :bow, I realize that it really wasn't all that great of a game. It's just a cheap knock-off of Phantasy Star II in my eyes! I realized that after I played and beat PSII (11 months and 3 weeks after beat FFX).

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Oct 31, 2003 @ 06:44 PM

Cloud, if you think FFX-2 is too fast, just go into the subscreen, go to the config, and TURN THE ATB SPEED DOWN. That option has been in every ATB-enabled game except Chrono Trigger and IIRC also FFIV. MAYBE FFV, but it's been a while since I last played that one.

And go ahead, call it blaspheme if you want, but I really did not care at all for Phantasy Star 2 or 3 (only ones I played at all)... and while I adore Breath of Fire, IMO Final Fantasy is still tops... with one exception, Panzer Dragoon Saga. :D

Play Phantasy Star IV :bow , and get back to me :p :D

Well, in FFVII - FFIX, I'd crank the ATB speed to the MAX, and it was still MUCH slower than this. It played at a much better pace. It was in FFIV - FFVI as well. Chrono Trigger also.

i can't wait for this game. i'm a fanboy, yes, but i seriously just can't wait to play this game. i'll probably pick up that issue of OPM, even though i never read that mag.

oh, should i pay 17 bucks for a used, complete copy of PSII for genesis? it's sitting at a store near me and i'm wondering if it's worth it. never got into it, really.

I'm a Final Fantasy fan, but couldn't stand the crap that is/was FFX.

I'll most likely pass on cash in, errr FFX-2...

Originally posted by cww80@Nov 1, 2003 @ 08:16 PM

I'm a Final Fantasy fan, but couldn't stand the crap that is/was FFX.

I'll most likely pass on cash in, errr FFX-2...

:D :thumbs-up: :hehehe:

And Aaron...

YES YES YES! BUY IT NOW! When I bought all three back in January, it cost me $31 ($36 of you count shipping) for all three. They were all loose though. BUY IT NOW! Then give me the case and instructions (and the strategy book if it's included) :p :D

Yes, the strategy book did come with the original release back in 1989.

If we're talking the best rpg series, Phantasy Star takes the cake. Best game? It's hard to decide between FFVI, FFI, Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star III

Edit: also, my best friend wants me to get ffxi and play online with him, but my girlfriend doesn't want me to... Is FFXI worth getting my girlfriend upset at me?

I first heard this game was centred around the main chick character in FFX, and she has guns and wears some stupid outfit. To me it seemed as though it was targeted towards young, male Final Fantasy Fanboys (FFF) :lol:. I thought it was some 3D action game rather than a RPG, but this was ages ago and I haven't looked up this game since :sleep: Hell, I didn't even bother reading this thread until now :smokin:. Now on to some quoting! :devil

Originally posted by Cloud121+Oct 31, 2003 @ 07:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloud121 @ Oct 31, 2003 @ 07:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>"From time to time, a game emerges that is so fun, and so addictive, that it becomes ruler of it's genre. In the world of Role-Playing Games, the Final Fantasy series is King."[/b]

Yeah, though apart from when Pokemon had it's shine in the light, Final Fantasy games from VII onwards have been the dominant RPG's in the gaming market. What other RPG's were as successful/ [or if you prefer] better than Final Fantasy VII, an onwards? I think that quote from OPM wasn't refering to games pre-FFVII-ish. So in terms of it's fan-base and income that it generates (compared to other RPG's after FFVII), I guess it has become ruler of it's genre. But seriously, I don't like many things about Final Fantasy, and a lot of my dislike goes towards the fact that the whole Final Fantasy Franchise (FFF) :)damn: :slap), completely annihilates most rival RPG's (in terms of the amount they sell). Keep in mind that I have not played any of the FF games for longer than 30 minutes.... it has always seemed 'cheesy' to me <_<.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Oct 31, 2003 @ 07:17 PM

The VAs from FFX are back. Yuna sounds WORSE (and she sounded bad in FFX...), Rikku sounded great in FFX, but now she sounds EXACTLY like Bubbles from Power Puff Girls...

Also, the victory music is not the traditional FF one. It's some weird composition that doesn't really fit...

It's clear Square released this for the fucking Rikku fanboys in mind. UGH!...

Anyway, I can say to you now, this is gonna blow...

My my. Now, you have quite a bit of knowledge concerning this game and you have pointed out to us all the crap parts of the game, which makes me wonder why you say something like this:

Originally posted by Cloud121@Oct 31, 2003 @ 07:17 PM

I just hope I can get used to it, by the time I buy the final product (comes out on the 18th of November), in January or February.

You know, nobody's forcing you to buy this game. The game is the one who should be saying "But I can improve!" not you.. meaning you don't need to change for the game, the game needs to change for you. (but we all know a game can't change :D ) Perhaps you would like to list some pro's of the game so I can understand your logic behind this, but as for now, my dislike for this game has just multiplied.

Oh, and one last thing:

<!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121
@Oct 31, 2003 @ 10:57 PM

I LOVED FFX once I first played it and beat it. But after playing the likes of Chrono Cross, and Phantasy Star IV, I realize that it really wasn't all that great of a game. It's just a cheap knock-off of Phantasy Star II in my eyes![/quote]

You see? You even say that the games are crap after you finish playing them! Which makes me wonder - why the hell do you play the games in the first place? Sorry cloud, but there is just too much I don't understand about you :catfly

Yeah, though apart from when Pokemon had it's shine in the light, Final Fantasy games from VII onwards have been the dominant RPG's in the gaming market. What other RPG's were as successful/ [or if you prefer] better than Final Fantasy VII, an onwards?

Well, I'm not going to debate 'better' since that's totally a matter of opinion, but most people, when they hear the term 'RPG' think one of two things: "Final Fantasy" or "Dungeons & Dragons"- so I think it's more accurate to say that FF is the 'king' of console RPGs, since games like the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights (note, I'm not particularly a fan of these games, especially NN) have done exceedingly well on the PC side of things. I think console and PC RPGs are so different in general that they don't even really belong in the same category; take my favorite RPG for example- Fallout. You rarely, if ever, see an RPG like that (dark and mature content, geared towards having more freedom and less following of a set path) on a console (with the possible exception of Morrowind, but that's really a PC game anyway).

My god... I really do not understand why practically everyone here hates Final Fantasy X-2, it is a great game! How many of you have really played it?

And, regarding RPGs better than the over-rated Final Fantasy VII, a good example is Grandia2.

Even though i havn't played FFX-2, i am looking foward to it. However, i didn't really like FFX that much because it was way to easy to beat. But it was a good game. Kinda like Zelda Windwaker, way to easy, but good game. I say its to easy because i beat the boss guy in like a couple hits with the magnuss sisters. Them and there crazy 99,999 hp hits.

My friend has the demo, i'll go check it out. He said it was pretty cool. A lot faster battling, should make for more interesting fights.

Yes, the new battle system is really good, I like that mixture of real-time battle with turn-based, good combination, but still not as good as Grandia2's perfect battle system.

Oh, and concerning Final Fantasy X-2's music, I think it is beautiful, I loved it, I even have the OST, and it not being composed by Uematsu Nobuo means nothing to me.

I haven't played X-2, only FFX. I don't mind the game system itself, I just really dislike the character and world design. It's really cheesy, like a soap opera or something. Also the fact that you can't really freely explore pretty much sucks.

As for Grandia 2, well, I actually prefer FFVII over Grandia 2. Grandia 2's battle system _was_ really good, but the problem with it was the fact that all the battles were way too easy. I think I was only ever defeated once during the whole time I played the game. I blame this partially on the battle system, because the AI just wasn't able to cope with the tactics the system allowed. Also, I'm probably in the minority on this, but I prefer pure turn based battles to real time ones. I think my favorite battle systems are probably Fallout 2's and Temple of Elemental Evil's. (Not counting the likes of Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics, which are even better.)

You want overrated, look at FFX. FFVII is NOT overrated. FFVIII is the least liked of the series, but I enjoy it quite a bit. FFIX has the best music of the series by far, along with a great plot and characters. FFVI is VERY overrated. FFV is great, FFIV is my second favorite FF game besides FFVII, with FFIX being a close third to FFIV. I own FF, put haven't played much of it.

Top 5 RPGs (In Order):

Phantasy Star IV (Get's my nod, due to slightly better character development than CC. Plot is just as good (when you factor in PS and PSII's plots into the mix)

Chrono Cross (BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER! BEST PLOT EVER!)

Phantasy Star II (Hard as hell, but has the best Soundtrack of the entire PS series. After beating the game, I felt I actually accomplished something in an RPG, due to it's difficulty)

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy IV

My Top 5 RPGs BEFORE Chrono Cross and Phantasy Star:

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy IX

Parasite Eve

Final Fantasy X

I enjoy FFX somewhat. It was a very fun game to play, with a slight twist to Phantasy Star II's plot (since FFX is just a rip-off of PSII). After hearing about how they were developing FFX-2, I've been living in fear of it's release. The whole premise of it makes me cringe.....

Back