First time burning Saturn games under Win2k or OSX

Alright, here's the deal: I've got a Win2k machine at work (unfortunately), and an OS X (v10.1.5, soon 10.2) machine at home.

We'll focus on Win2k for now. Every single burning tutorial I've found says that you can't burn games properly under Win2k. But I KNOW people have done it. I've got Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum, and Fireburner 2.1.7. Do I need anything else? How should I actually burn the disc?

Thanks guys...

I'm running Win 2K and I have CDRWin 3.8B and Nero 5.5.8.2 installed. Both works great. Can you tell me which tutorials you've read that told you that you can't burn games under Win 2K? BTW, I would stay away from Easy CD Creator. IMO, I think it sucks and you can't use it to burn mixed mode images (e.g., BIN+CUE, ISO+MP3, or ISO+WAV). FireBurner is good. It allows you to burn mixed mode images with or without a cue sheet.

If you have problems with the burning software detecting your burner, run ASPI checker and find out what version ASPI you have installed. If it says none detected, go grab and install ASPI Layer 4.57 from the Miscellaneous section. After installing, check again with ASPI checker.

Also, when you say burn games, which are you referring to: burning from images (e.g., BIN+CUE, ISO+MP3) downloaded from the internet or a simple backup of your original game CDs?

Originally posted by liquidcross@Aug. 20 2002, 10:55 am

Alright, here's the deal: I've got a Win2k machine at work (unfortunately), and an OS X (v10.1.5, soon 10.2) machine at home.

We'll focus on Win2k for now. Every single burning tutorial I've found says that you can't burn games properly under Win2k. But I KNOW people have done it. I've got Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum, and Fireburner 2.1.7. Do I need anything else? How should I actually burn the disc?

Thanks guys...

See reply above for large text.

I'm burning mainly bin/cue, iso/wav sets. Can I just load a cuesheet into Fireburner, burn the disc, and be done with it? I've got "close CD" selected, too. Do I need any additional settings?

Load cue sheet and check "finalize" or "close CD" before submitting the burn button should do it.

BTW, before you burn, if your game is an import (e.g., you have an USA/Canada Saturn but the game is European or Japanese), I suggest you first patch the ISO or BIN with SatConv to match the country/territory of your Saturn, and then make the burn.

I keep getting this error in Fireburner:

Thread2: Sense Error: ILLEGAL_REQUEST (INVALID FIELD IN COMMAND PACKET) (0x05 0x24 0x00)

Also...I burned a mixed mode CD in Nero, and the CD just ended up having an ISO and the audio tracks on it...it looks like it didn't process the ISO into data files. Did I do something wrong?

With Nero, you're supposed to use a cue sheet to burn (the Mixed Mode CD compilation is actually mixed mode from data files on your HDD, not mixed mode from image). If you have an ISO+MP3 or ISO+WAV rip, then you'll need to create a cue sheet. If you don't know how to create a cue sheet after reading The_Morph's faq, you can use Lodger's Sega Cue Maker to generate one for you. If you have a BIN+CUE rip, then you are set for the next step. Next step is to load the cue sheet in Nero and burn:

[*]File

[*]Burn Image...

[*]change Files of type to All Files (*.*)

[*]locate and load the cue sheet

[*]select desired speed and other self-explanatory options (e.g., Write and Finalize CD)

[*]burn baby burn!

Ah, okay. Coolness. I'll try it tomorrow at work, after I redo my workstation. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Back