Fixing Overscan in Fallout 1?

Hey Guys,

I have a Samsung Dynaflat HDTV. Currently, I'm linking my computer up to it via a Radeon X800XT via component input. Fortunately, the latest cats support HD resolutions (1152x648 instead of 1280x720), and as a nice bonus whenever the TV recognizes a 640x480 signal, it senses it as a 480p signal and I get a nice big, quasi-widescreen image. The only problem with this is with overscan. Most modern games support HD resolutions, but I was wondering if there was a way to solve the overscan issue in Fallout 1. The game runs perfectly, except I can't see the whole toolbar on the bottom, which is a problem. I also have this problem with Jagged Alliance 2.

I tried using a program called D3DWindower to run it in windowed mode, and it works, but it runs slowly, and the window is too slow. I can't really adjust it because the text is in japanese (I think it's japanese). If anyone has any experience with this program, or knows of an english-language solution, that would be great. Thanks!

Well, Fallout doesn't have any options for picking resolution, as I'm sure you know. You might want to try creating a custom mode and using the drivers to force the game to run in it, but I'm not sure if that will affect the TV output any. Other option would be using your TV's service mode to adjust the size of the picture.

Do you have ATI's catalyst control panel installed? If you go to tv properties > adjustments, you should be able shrink the output size a little or move the picture up a bit, just like the control buttons on a regular pc monitor.

Back