game system news

the financial times had a big spread on video gaming industry yesterday - did anyone see it

some points i thought were insteresting

- i new xbox was loosing money on the consoles but 125$ per console is a killer -- im afraid that piracy will kill off the xbox

M$ said that they were impressed with thier sales of the conoles and are pumping in 2billion to make xbox better

also that M$ is thinking of releasing the xbox 2 to get a jump on sony -- that the xbox 2 will be a xbox /video recoder combo or at least as one of the features and sony is worried about that becasue they have to change thier market models to compete with M$ (timing and stuff)

M$ and nintendo are absicaly running neck and neck (with units sold) around 4M (for 8 months worth of sales)

there was an article about fighting online game addiction where the Govermant will help the fight

also not suprising to me- there was an article about the military doing thier recruting through videogames -- right now they offer a game for free whcih basicaly takes you through a whole carrer in the military (something like that ) and theres more to come

i dont have the paper with me so if ne1 read it please add more if interested

I doubt that piracy will kill the XBox - in fact it was one of the main reasons the original PS did so well. More like lack of enthusiasm...

Also that "military game" bit sounded dubious to say the least. Do you really want your country defended by spotty, trigger-happy nerds?

that military game thing would psychologicaly get some young guys to wana live the life of an action hero and get more guys to sign up -- they said its working

im not for it - it think its a misleading ploy like all the comercials makeing it seem fun

Well, I don't know what it's like in the USA, but here in Australia the "hero wannabes" do NOT get into the Army. They set very strict standards for the minimum maturity level of applicants.

I hardly imagine such a startegy would unearth many suitable people...

i think thats the type of guy they want here

sure they also need more inteligent ones too but every soldier dosent work in artilery or units that require more math skills

if they didnt want people like that they wouldt try to reqruit with video games

for officers is another story

that military game thing would psychologicaly get some young guys to wana live the life of an action hero

Also that "military game" bit sounded dubious to say the least. Do you really want your country defended by spotty, trigger-happy nerds?

As hard as it might be for you guys to believe this, America's Army is not a reskinned Max Payne, it's a simulation. That means that if you disregard orders, kill people just for fun, and otherwise act like an ass, you don't win. Thus, I doubt that any hypothetical "trigger happy nerds" are going to find it particularly appealing.

im not for it - it think its a misleading ploy like all the comercials makeing it seem fun

I can't remember one commercial making it "seem fun". They generally tend to emphasize the self-improvement aspects ("an army of one") and sometimes the fact that they'll pay for education. As for it being misleading, of course it's not 100% accurate, but I don't see why anyone should expect that. Besides, if the recruiters don't weed out the ones who think it will be "fun", basic training probably will...

sure basic - will do that and for some it wont -- the fear of giving up stops them

yea those comercials do say army of one and try to show what you said but they are also made up like somekind of action movie or top gun with exciting music and qucik flashes of light colors

i hear alot of young guys saying " that makes me wana join up"

or " i wish i wasnt too old" who ever they hired to come up with that did a good job

it wasnt my intention to start a discution on this - oh well

Back