Gameboy SP or GP32

I can't remember what gaming magazine (or if it was PA) that said it best. to have it work you have to go outside, but outside you get glare and it isn't worth playing.

Yeah, that was probably it. Game informer is the only gaming magazine that I get that I actually read. I usually look at the pictures in GMR (I don't trust their opinions), and I just started getting gamepro again, but I don't really have any desire to read gamepro, so I don't even look at the pictures in it.

yeah GameInformer is the only subscription I pay for.

But I'm gonna quit after it runs out.

I have plenty of free ones plus my other mags (esp. MaximumPC, Wired, and Sound & Vision) to keep me busy.

By the time I read gaming news online and discuss it on here, most gaming mags seem out of date before they get to me.

A few more questions for owners of either systems:

Is the GB SP battery life pretty good? Would a front lite GP32 burn down batteries pretty fast?

Does the GP32 have a decent Genesis emulator? Most of the emus seem to be "in progress".

Finally, why do you own a GBA (for which games?)? The carts are pretty expensive... what makes it worth it for you?

I mean, if Gameboy had a flash cart... this descision would be easy.

Don't have the answers for your q's, but I thought this might be important -

Only 800 GP32's left

Craig posted on GBAX news that Gamepark have just 800 GP32's in stock, which since there was only 2000 a few weeks ago isnt a lot left. We mentioned the other week that Gamepark was not going to make any more until possibly Spring 2004 so at this rate of decrease I will be surprised if the stock lasts until Chrismas.

This was posted on the 18th of this month over at http://www.gp32emu.com/

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 22, 2003 @ 03:04 AM

I can't remember what gaming magazine (or if it was PA) that said it best. to have it work you have to go outside, but outside you get glare and it isn't worth playing.

wtf? Outside is the best place to play a GBA. Tons of light flooding the screen ^_^

Is the GB SP battery life pretty good? Would a front lite GP32 burn down batteries pretty fast?

18 hours no light, 10 hours with light. GBA-SP uses a front light.

Finally, why do you own a GBA (for which games?)? The carts are pretty expensive... what makes it worth it for you?

Because... there's this thing, y'know, called supporting companies... and companies, to stay alive, need this thing called a profit... look it up some time.

Plus I like being able to use my GBA for its intended purpose - PORTABILITY.

It does, but it's expensive, and again we get back to the profit problem.

Me too. I have GBA and soon will get Nomad. But I defenitivly look forward to Zodiac. It's like a super palm.

A few more questions for owners of either systems:

Does the GP32 have a decent Genesis emulator? Most of the emus seem to be "in progress".

Most of your questions have already been answered, but it wouldn't be complete without my point of view. ;)

I don't know much about the GP32, but it uses a Pentium 133 so porting existing emulators from the PC wouldn't be a huge problem (I guess). I haven't been checking the progress of these emulators though. But a friend to a guy in my class (his uncles roommate ;)) does have one and only uses it to emulate other systems so according to this guy in my class it works good.

There is a NES-emulator for the Gameboy wich works really good (except for the screenresolution of the GBA), there is also a SMS emulator, it didn't run that many games, only Alex Kidd in miracle world of those of wich I tested. I acctually just tried Sonic, Castle of Illusion and Alex Kidd before I gave up. And a PcEngine emulator, I haven't had time to try it out yet though, been busy playing Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

why do I own a GBA, sometimes I ask myself that question. There are in truth not all that many really GREAT games. I liked the Castlevania games, Metroid, Zelda, SMW, Mario & Luigi, Gulroz chang poo (sp?), Wario Ware... and pherhaps some more that I've already forgotten. chang poo is a REALLY great puzzler that was only released in Japan as far as I know. And right now, after finnishing Mario & Luigi that is I have no fun games to play, but of course there will be some that might be good this winter, like the new Metroid and probably something more, otherwise I can always try out the PcEngine-emulator and post here how it works, might just do that today.

If you're looking for a portable emulator GP32 is probably without doubt the one to get, they both have a scene for coding but I'll guess the GP32 is bigger since it requieres nothing extra for the console to test out your code for the hardware. Really good offial 2D games will be found on the GBA (maybe?). ;)

don't know much about the GP32, but it uses a Pentium 133 so porting existing emulators from the PC

:flamethrower: errrr... the GP32 uses an ARM cpu whose speed can be selected in software (within reasonable bounds of course, 166mhz has been achieved for instance).

Oups, probably should have checked that. :) But I did say I didn't know much about it, atleast I'm honest, you can give me that. :blink:

Word on the net is that the GP32 is dying. The European launch has been cancelled, and allegedly the South Korean government is no longer financially supporting Game Park. If this is true it's not a big surprise, as (at least outside Asia) virtually all GP32 owners either pirate the commercial games or just use the system for emulators.

All of this debate about Ngage, gameboy sp, and gp32 is confusing.

So, I've decided to go with the Leapfrog iQuest. They have several carts for half the price of gameboy.

Does anyone know anything about Cybiko Extreme? There doesn't appear to be any emus for it. I've seen plenty of freeware games, and it is super cheap on ebay now. Is it worth it?

Back