Games with a devil theme??

Hey,

I once played a game for the Sega Genesis with a Satan, devilish theme. It was an import from Japan. I think the game was called Yohko Devil Hunter? Or some such. Has there been any other games with this theme for any consoles?

Originally posted by E Nice@Mar 22, 2003 @ 08:26 PM

Does Doom count? :devil

No =) The game that I am talking about has a Satan theme to it. It's like a story with the devils, etc.
tongue.gif

The game that I played on the Genesis had a girl as the hero. It was from japan.

yeah, like galstaff, i would say devil may cry.. and for PSX there is Jersey Devil (a platformer where you play as...well...the jersey devil). and Castlevania games you go after Dracula, but still along the same kinda lines.

Didn't Atlus made some evil theme games? From reading EGM, they didn't bring it over to the USA because it was too satanish?

It would help to have a better idea of what you're looking for, but I'd suggest looking into:

The Splatterhouse series - this is arguably more of a generic horror atmosphere, but in terms of the storyline it's definitely also arguable that the mask represents a "devil" figure...

The Gargoyle's Quest series: Gargoyle's Quest (Gameboy), Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness (NES) and Demon's Crest (SNES). This series is essentially the flip side to the Makaimura (Ghosts 'n Goblins / Ghouls 'n Ghosts) series, in which you play as the gargoyle Firebrand and generally try to straighten out the chaos in the demon realm. It's not quite as hard or as fast-paced as Makaimura, and has some RPG elements. I gess it could be said that it's a more arcade/action-heavy take on the "platform adventure" genre traditionally occupied by Metroid and recent Castlevania games. Perhaps you'd like to look into Makaimura as well, but it's probably not quite what you're after.

The Legacy of Kain series: Blood Omen, Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver, and Soul Reaver 2: More of a vampire theme, though Raziel in the Soul Reaver games is not really a vampire (he consumes souls directly, hence the name).

Spawn, but that doesn't really count, now does it?
tongue.gif

Onimusha: feudal Japan + demonic themes and soul-absorbing armlet = fun.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The "devil" stuff in this sort of lurks in the background and beneath the surface most of the time, but the storyline is pretty well put together for a strategy game. Warning: the storyline has been known to offend some Catholics (not just really dogmatic ones either). I won't go into more detail than that because it would be spoiler territory.

Also, you may want to look at the Listing of games where you are the bad guy? thread...

I apologize if this stuff isn't what you're looking for, but it's what rose to the surface of my mind.

Didn't Atlus made some evil theme games? From reading EGM, they didn't bring it over to the USA because it was too satanish?

I think that's the Shin Megami Tensei series; at least one of these was released for PSX in the US under the title "Revelations: Persona".

Edit: Somehow, I managed to forget the Vampire/Darkstalkers series (Japan: Vampire, Vampire Hunter, Vampire Hunter 2, Vampire Savior, Vampire Savior 2; World: Darkstalkers, Night Warriors, Darkstalkers 3).

Thanks people!

I don't mean a game with a vampire, or evil theme. I mean a game with a satanic look/feel/theme. Like there is Heaven, the game would be more toward the other side, the satanist view.

That makes sense? I believe Yohko has this kind of theme to it...

Nobody said Silent Hill yet! The game has tons of references to satanic themes including the cult of Samael and such. Great games too!

"Little Divil" for PC

"Vortex: Quantum Gate II" delves into its own mythology with some Judeo-Christian influence.

And there have been numerous WWII strategy games where you control the Nazi's. Hitler, Satan, all the same to me.

Yeah, but these games don't really have the scare "effect". I remember being a little nervous when playing Yohko
sad.gif

Back