Gametap.com

stack99

Established Member
Its comming, its new, its MAME/ROMS to play and be downloaded onto your pc, wha??? visit WWW.GAMETAP.COM. The folks at Turner Broadcasting are behind, this company. Their strategy is this 14.95 a month, and you can download, 1000's of retro games, from the most popular consoles, I think upto and including the DC, its weird, and I am not sure if anyone posted on this before, but its news to me, so I thought I would share.

http://www.gametap.com/index.html

Why do you say that? They are licensing the games for use. Similar to the new Napster, where you rent the rights, but don't purchase them.

Well, if it's all legitimate, then there's still something else that doesn't make sense.

If they're leasing licences for a presummed 1000 games.. now that's a lot of developers.. which calculates to a lot of fees. They expect to cover their licensing costs with a 14.95/ month download-a-thon?

Can someone point to a page on their site which lists all the developers they have obtained rights to publish and redistribute their products for profit?

I couldn't find a list, but this is being done by AOL-Turner-Time-Warner Bros. They've done their fair share of publishing on old consoles, so there's a built-in library already at their disposal.

One of the developers was on G4 recently. Just for a few, they had Pitfall 1 and 2, many Pac-Man games, and Hydro Thunder. They made it clear that it covers up to the Dreamcast. Licensing those old games can't cost too much, since they are licensing the orignal code.

Back