Genesis 6 button controller

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

3rdman

I got the 6 button contoller from Sega for the Genesis but haven't come across a game that supports it. What were they made for? Also what is the "Mode" button on the controller used for?

RadSil

Website
www.siloromano.com
Lots and lots of games supported the six button. Mostly fighting games... I know Comix Zone supports it :)

And yes, the mode button has a purpose... if you hold it down while turning the machine on, the six button functions like a normal three button. This was necessary for some games, Ristar comes to mind. It would randomly lock up if you used a six button on it.

Karny

I know Mortal Kombat 2 + 3 supported it, I'm not sure about the original tho...

RadSil

Website
www.siloromano.com
I think it might have been unofficially supported... If I remember correctly, the MK manual and box mentioned nothing about 6-button support. Was the pad even available when the game came out?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Website
www.segaxtreme.net
yeah, it was. I bought MK when it came out in USA, together with a 6 button pad which had just been released too.

Chiraz

Website
welcome.to
That's correct, I own Mortal Kombat and a 6-button controller so I know for a fact that it works! ;)

RadSil

Website
www.siloromano.com
I liked the button layout of those games-X, A, Z, C for attacks, Y or B for block (and a run button in MK3). It was rather intuitive. Too bad the ports of those games really suck. :)

Supergrom

Website
Visit site
i have super street fighter 2 and it supports it. i probably have a few other games too, but thats the only one that comes to mind (besides wing commander for sega cd, which is barely playable without a six button)

Mo Threat

Website
Visit site
Shadow Squadron [32X], SamSho [Genny & SCD], and Fatal Fury Special [SCD] support the big6 as well.

Popful Mail is an SCD game that don't like it much - many random graphical glitches.

ExCyber

Staff member
Graphical glitches due to getting garbage controller data... I'm not even going to ask.

KSamurai

Website
Visit site
Streets Of Rage 3 also supports 6 buttons, let you do their finshing combo moves stright off (like Axel double kick) and back attacks which normaly have to be a different way (Holding B button for a while then letting go *e.g Axel Double Kick*, or pressing B, C buttons at once *Back attack*)