Genesis model 1 and model 2 sound differences?

Does anyone else notice a difference between the sound of a model 1 and the sound of a model 2 Genesis? In particular, the PSG sound in a model 1 is quieter, there is more sustain on some instruments, etc. The model 1 also sounds "softer".

My theory (feel free to shoot it down and kill it) is that the PSG differences might be from changes in the VDP between models. I've also noticed that, if you look closely, you can see the tile cells in later model 2's...

well, make sure you compare Model 1's sound only from the headphone to the stereo sound of the Model 2, cause model 1 doesn't even have stereo over the av connector.

I have tested both through 16" JBL stereo speakers, and both are connected stereo (headphone jack-to-RCA for the model 1, stereo composite cables for the model 2). If you would like to make a comparison yourself, a good game to try is Streets of Rage-the PSG squarewave at the beginning of the theme song is much quieter on a model 1, and the piano/synthpad sounds seem to sustain for longer (you can hear them 'trail off', unlike the cut off sound on the model 2). However, the drums sounded better on the model 2.

The first place I noticed this difference is the round 4 music of Streets of Rage, particularly the piano, so if anyone could give both machines a listen and see if there is any difference, that would be great.

Do you have the earlier Genesis 2 (with 315-5660 VDP/sound IC) or later model (with 315-5690)? The audio differences between these two are quite marked - I find the FM sound is noticeably "crisper" and less distorted on the later version.

Mike

How the hell can you tell which is which? Are those numbers on the label under the Model 2 or something?

I love my x-eye since it has proper, simple RCA outputs on the back, Contra hard core has realy neat stereo effects that i never noticed on my model 2

Have you even seen the pinout for the genesis 2? It's not hard to pick up stereo A/V cables for it. For model 1 you can hook it up as radsil did. There are differences between chip revisions, so its not necessarily a genesis 1 vs 2 deal, different chips have different strengths and weaknesses.

Originally posted by SegaSaturnDDR@Jan 19, 2003 @ 06:43 AM

I love my x-eye since it has proper, simple RCA outputs on the back, Contra hard core has realy neat stereo effects that i never noticed on my model 2

tell me what that had to do with this thread?? :huh

He looks down on any users of regular Genesis units. He also doesn't realize that regular genesis units are more than capable of outputting stereo perfectly. Which is why I asked if he's seen a Genesis 2 pinout.

Back