Genesis --> Saturn cart!?!

One of my buddys from HK has a whole wack of odd stuff. Is there a place on the internet where you can buy these things? He's got like a 3rd Party Saturn which can also play NES rom CDs, and a Cart you plug into the Satun which lets you play genesis carts. Apparently you can also get NES/Genesis's on a Chip, built into game pads as well?

How do those guys fit a whole damn NES or whatever on a Cart or Gamepad when the thing is so darn small!!?!

wow -- never heard of those, but if somebody can hook us up, let us know.

However, somehow I doubt they exist or they would be pretty popular

Apparently my buddy said its pretty common for manufactures to add XXX on a chip to XXX item. He said you can get Game pads with NES's/GG built into it, CD-Players which have Mega CDs playback, DVD players with NES/Genny Rom disk support and all sorts of other addons and crap. He said even PSX has game carts which lets you play other systems games.

I saw some of these multi-game stuff on Ebay once but I thought it was a fake. I mean a whole NES with 70+ built in games? I never heard of that. But I wish I knew sooner.

Can anyone know where to get these stuff plz?

There was a post on here before about the gamepad containing the NES games, it looked like a nintendo64 controller but it had auido/video out plugs and a plug for power, it contained over 50 games (the exact number i dont know) i've seen them on the net for around $20 or so, and one in an outdoor mart where i live for $60 (
angry.gif
big rip off!!)

and for PSX adapters i dont know if im just creating it in my head but for some reason i seem to remember an attachment that would plug into the parrallel port of the old PSX systems and allow you to play the original gameboy games on your system.

And last but not least there is a NES emulator for PSX, but you need the roms and a modchip installed in your playstation for it to work.

As for the rest i have no clue, maybe others will contribute their knowledge and correct me if im wrong.

I don't believe any of this is true. To get gadgets that can do this, would require a lot of talent.

Sure, emulators are possible, but not hardware/accessories.

As for the pad? I have seem those pads, but the games they play aren't for NES.. they are just 50 crappy games put into a small chip..

ya know, there used to be a legendary figure who went by the handel of arakon on this board who would debunk all this shit with one or two simple lines of text thus making the world a better place for all of us

Originally posted by Lyzel@Dec. 13 2002, 2:31 am

As for the pad? I have seem those pads, but the games they play aren't for NES.. they are just 50 crappy games put into a small chip..

Well, I did play with one of those pads, and it did look like an N64 game pad, minus the analog...

While in Queens (boring, boring Queens) I was with my family at an Indian store (if you've been to one you know they sell all sorts of stuff) and I came across this very item on the counter, hooked up to a TV.

And, probably to your disbelief, I played Mario 1, Mario 3, some shooter (name I don't remember), Elevator Action and Spy v. Spy (I was REALLY bored). There were a couple other Nintendo games on it, but nothing I was terribly interested in (no Ikari Warriors!).

But, yes, they do exist. They were asking $40 it.

Ive seen in person or pictures of most of the things he was talking about .

Originally posted by Zziggy00@Dec. 14 2002, 4:05 am

and for PSX adapters i dont know if im just creating it in my head but for some reason i seem to remember an attachment that would plug into the parrallel port of the old PSX systems and allow you to play the original gameboy games on your system.

That cartridge contains an emulator (and not a particularly good one), it just loads the game off a real cartridge.

Those NES-in-a-controller things do contain a complete NES, shrunk to a few chips, in a controller casing. Nothing odd with that, but it's a huge difference to Megadrive-to-Saturn adapter which I won't believe exist until I see one. I've not heard of any working NES emulators on the Saturn, so I really doubt the existence of that too. (The PSX Gameboy emulators all used hacked free emulators. The Hong Kong people generally aren't that good with software.)

Originally posted by Lyzel@Dec. 14 2002, 5:31 am

I've got one too, and it's definitely a NES clone in there. The pad looks horrible, it's off-white with bright yellow and purple buttons. I only hooked it up once but I remember it had 1942 on there, and also Gradius which I sat playing for half an hour.
smile.gif

yeah, the Nes ones are realy neat, i have one, it's shaped like a n64 controller, has some games on it, and also a (Famicom) cartrige slot. as for a genny-> saturn adapter, id say its bullshit untill i saw it.

Originally posted by SegaSaturnDDR@Dec. 14 2002, 11:09 pm

As for a genny-> saturn adapter, id say its bullshit untill i saw it.

Agreed.

Genny -> Saturn isn't absurd on its face; I haven't heard of anyone producing a "Genesis on a chip", but it's certainly possible.

As for how they do it, it's mostly a matter of manufacturing processes improving to the point that more "components" can reliably and cheaply be put on a single chip. To get a general idea, consider that modern PC CPUs and graphics chips typically have tens of millions of transistors, compared to somewhere about 10000 transistors for a CPU similar to NES's, and around 68000 (or so I'm told; maybe this is some kind of joke :
wink.gif
smile.gif
for the Genesis CPU.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Dec. 14 2002, 5:34 pm

Genny -> Saturn isn't absurd on its face; I haven't heard of anyone producing a "Genesis on a chip", but it's certainly possible.

There's still the small problem of transferring the sound and graphics to the Saturn's hardware. I suppose you could set the thing up so it writes to a memory buffer which is then passed on to the relevant subsystem, but it's still more complex than stand-alone bootleg hardware.

Dudes, keep in mind he did say his friend has a 3rd party/grey market Saturn. God knows what kind of mods they did for it. It wouldn't have an NES emulator. All the ones I'v seen have an NES on a chip, and they just wire it up internaly so that when a ROM CD is inserted (With NES ROMS) the system goes to "NES" mode. Like changing video, audio output to the NES portion. Not really integrating (Except for the CD Support). Just more like a auto switch which shares the same box/wires? I think the Genny --> Saturn Converter is just a way to get a gen cart plugged in. Most likely there is some genny hardware already in the pirate machine. You just need an adapter because the two share the same port. But thats just my eduated guess since Im no engeneer.

About the Gen, I'v seen REALLY small portable gennys for sale before. I think even Lik-Sang or Lan-Kwei or whatever those junky places are have them. I mean the cheapo Genny in a NES/PSX shell deal. Even if its not a single chip, they can still squeeze quite a bunch out of it.

But this stuff isn't uncommon. Im sure loads of people were BS'ing the CD-Player/MegaCD until Cec shows the AIWA player she had.

here's the Sega Nomad, a portable Genesis with it's own LCD screen and speaker:

nomad.jpg

the Genesis model 3, el cheapo genesis:

genesis3.jpg

and the CDX, a Gen3 and Sega CD in one:

multimega.jpg

The NES on a chip was used in many devices including the Super-8, the device that let you play NES carts on a SNES. I never heard of the genesis ona chip before though.

Bascially with the nes, the old hardware used such ancient technology and clutter that it really wasn't much trouble to reduce all it's functions to one 64-pin surface-mount chip by about 2 years into the SNES' life.

Another example is the SNES Model 2, check out it's main board, it's about 1/3 the size of the SNES model 1 without the secondary SPC700 plugin-daughter board for audio decoding.

Poke around for Kevin Horton's (Kevtris') website. I believe he has a LOAD of information on the NES-on-a-chip since that's what he used when developing his "Portendo."

Originally posted by DBOY@Dec. 17 2002, 12:17 am

I never heard of the genesis ona chip before though.

The Majesco model 3 was one.

Back