GEOS source code not leaked!

Curtis

Established Member
Slashdot are reporting that the GEOS operating system has been released from the shackles of commerciality. When the page is no longer Slashdotted, you'll be able to download (at least the C64 version) here

For the uninitiated, GEOS was a GUI released in the mid 80's designed to run on a number of aging computers, notably the Apple 2 and the C64. Pretty cool for it's time. :)

I used to love tooling around with GEOS on my C64. IIRC it had some tricky copy protection. ;)

Meh...neither was I. It just came with the system I picked up from a friend years after the C64 died. I've no idea where/how he got it. :sigh

GEOS was ported to many platforms, including PCs. Nokia's 9000-series "Communicator" smartphones also use it (or at least the first models did).

I loved GEOWorks Ensamble on my 286.

Wish that was free and updated.

My father in law still insists on using his 486 and GEOWorks is so much better than Win 3.1

It seems like only GEOS for the c64 has been released, which isn't really a big deal as it's been pretty much 'freely downloadable' for years anyway. There's also no mention of the source code being released-although I'm sure the whole thing is written in asm anyway-- anyone who wanted to hack it has surely already done so to their heart's content.

Still, I have some fond memories of running this soft on my c64, using it for book reports (heh I was the only kid in school who was typing my book reports in second grade- and with multiple fonts nonetheless!), creating pictres in GeoPaint, and entering my 'contacts' into the rolodex software. Good times.

I recall, from the shrouded mists of time, that some company also used GEOS on a washing machine :p

(might as well be BS though, just something that sprang to mind when I saw the thread)

Originally posted by it290@Feb 13, 2004 @ 07:59 PM

It seems like only GEOS for the c64 has been released, which isn't really a big deal as it's been pretty much 'freely downloadable' for years anyway.

Yes, it was only the C64 (and C128) version of GEOS 2.0 that was released. But the OS has been in use and tinkered with since its release and you can now get stuff like web browsers and support for hard drives and the SuperCPU upgrade and other oddities for it.

I have both geos disks and the books. I found them at a thrift store, tested them when I had a 64. I no longer have the system and the disks have been sitting in my drawer. I just haven't had the time to throw them up on ebay. What do you think its worth?

Well...with the free release, and given you can pick up the original disks and books from the website for $25...I'd say about...ooh, err...zip. :)

Back