Getting rid of blocks in a divx file

racketboy

Established Member
I have a divx file that has a few spots that have some blockness and a few other defects in them.

I thought I remember seeing some software that can correct some of those problems.

Is anyone aware of one?

i dont know but i seen one that just take out the blocky frames and keep the good ones..that's the best one i know..divx.com and go to the tools section.

By blockiness, do you mean compression artifacts? If so, there's no way to take those out (other than perhaps performing a smooth/blur function and recompressing at a higher bitrate, which won't gain you more detail). As for random noise and crap that pops up once in a while, your best bet is probably just deleting the offending frames if they're not too numerous (and you have enough keyframes to do so). Really though, garbage in -> garbage out, IMO.

Hmm... well, you could always try some realtime filters as well. For example, using Zoom Player and with the Gordian Knot codec pack installed, there are some smoothing and deblocking filters available.. it is generally a subtle improvement however, especially if you're already watching the video on a TV (which helps a lot with blockiness and low resolution in and of itself, actually).

Try running the file with different MPEG-4 codecs. It may be that there's nothing actually wrong with the file.

For example, I have a couple of film clips that somone did up using XviD, which is that zany (buggy?) open-sourced alternative to DivX 5. If you play the files using the DivX codec, even with no post-processing, really weird artifacts start showing up.

Play it using the XviD codec and suddenly the artifacts are gone. So maybe you don't actually have a cruddy file :D

With all the alternatives out there and deviations from what's supposed to be a standard, I don't think that any of the MPEG-4 implementations (be it Windows Media, Quicktime, DivX, or other) are going to actually last and become mainstream. DVD is only now really mainstream, and since you have to spend a lot of effort making that transportable it plays in favour of movie companies. Maybe by the time they come out with MPEG 5 or 6 and everyone is running a 64-bit or 128-bit processor platform and it doesn't take 9 hours to encode a movie it'll catch on.

I mean now it takes under a minute to encode an MP3 straight off a CD, at 320 kbps VBR with a new(er) computer. I remember when such a feat required 20-25 minutes at least, not counting manually ripping the WAV off the CD first, and all you could get was 160 kbps CBR encoding.

Back