Got a MegaDriveII that is incombatible with ...

I got this megadrive 2 MK-1631-50 from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:L:AAQ:US:1

and as you can see, printed on the bottom left corner of the box, there is a yellow sign which reads:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This product is incompatible with the following items:

Megadrive 32x / Mega CD / Master System Converter / Virtua Racing Game

I was pretty furstrated, but since I was curious and it had normal screws on the unit, I opened it to gaze upon it :D

so, there it was, without the top cover, and I was wondering: so what if I insert my VR cartridge? and it worked! :thumbs-up:

bottom line: the problem lies on the fact that the cartridge slot is slightly different and the 32x, vr , etc won't reach the actual connector on the pcb... 2 small pieces cutted, 2 mins passed and all incobatibillities dissapeared... I cannot even imagine WHY they decided to do this little stupid change...

I guess this won't damage the unit :smash

Originally posted by keropi@Fri, 2005-11-18 @ 09:46 AM

bottom line: the problem lies on the fact that the cartridge slot is slightly different and the 32x, vr , etc won't reach the actual connector on the pcb... 2 small pieces cutted, 2 mins passed and all incobatibillities dissapeared... I cannot even imagine WHY they decided to do this little stupid change...

I guess this won't damage the unit :smash

[post=141868]Quoted post[/post]​

Now if there would be a similar way to make the Nomad compatible with VR, I would be very happy!

My virtua racing works on nomad.... strange...

I've read somewhere that genesis3 was not working with VR and 32x because the Dtack signal wasn't linked to the cart port.

But if you say that 32x works and if your model is similar to genesis3, then this was a false information.

I've read somewhere that genesis3 was not working with VR and 32x because the Dtack signal wasn't linked to the cart port.
Someone else said on Eidolon's Tavern that /DTACK is connected. I think VR needs pin B21 (some kind of DRAM/PSRAM control signal, probably tells the RAM logic on the cart when to do a refresh cycle).

Lack of /DTACK was a bit of speculation on my part that as ExCyber has pointed out turned out not to be true.

The thread discussing which pins are disconnected is here: http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-view_foru...find=&forumId=5

It would be interesting to rig up a standard genesis with a cart slot extender with little jumpers to allow you to selectively disable the pins that are disconnected on a Genesis 3 to see which are really the culprits.

Wouldn't it work to just cut a little strip of tape and use it to insulate the pins you're interested in on the cart itself?

Back