GPL'ed Yeti3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPL'ed Yeti3D

Well, Yeti3D is a comercial 3D engine software, used mainly for GBA. Thing is, the author released the a free GPL'ed source version of the engine.

http://www.theteahouse.com.au/gba/index.html

Considering the little memory and speed requirements of the engine, and the fact it's all pure C makes it a nice candidate for a port.

--

Hello, I've been away from a while - I had vacations, and then I found out I didn't had enough credits to transit to the following year on college - so I've been working hard on class. So, here's a status on my stuff:

- StarDust : er, in the same state as it was two years ago. Geez.

- SatLink : I think the schematics are wrong - I can't pull +5 Vcc anywere :/

- That contest game : I have the graphics, but I've been way too busy to code anything worth it.

GPL'ed Yeti3D

Maybe you could get Rand to port his new Quake-compatible engine over :D

Edit: Hmm, looks like the Yeti3D engine already has a PS1 port. Interesting.

GPL'ed Yeti3D

Takashi there u are baka :rtfm . Why don't u pay us a visit to #segasaturn . It's time for u to come back. We miss U *not* :devil

GPL'ed Yeti3D

Originally posted by dhau@Nov 10, 2003 @ 04:31 PM

Hi, what network this channel is on? EfNET?

Thanks

He's talking about PTnet's #segasaturn (Portuguese network).

You can still visit #segaxtreme @ EFNET :)

GPL'ed Yeti3D

A SEGA Saturn port hasn't been made as far as I know. The PS1 port was written very quickly just to make sure the engine could work with PS1 style 3D hardware. The PS1 is the only console I have.

RE: Texture size. You dont actually have to use the Yeti3D textures at all. Its easy to patch the polygon renderer which gives you a texture Id. For the OpenGL version, I just convert the 8bit textures to 24bit on the fly, but I could have created a texture WAD of the original 256x256 24bit textures which would have greatly increased the rendering quality.

The default texture size is now 128x128 with MIP mapping, but that only really matters if you are using the software render.

The latest GP32 port looks very nice:

Yeti3D GP32 Port

There is also a PocketPC port running around the forums too + a Nokia game is in the works. Im not overly happy with the GBA versions speed. It requires some decent ARM code which I cant do.

As it is, the Yet3D engine doesn't fully scale up to faster platforms. If I was using it on a Saturn/PS1, I'd make the cube sizes smaller and double the world size.

Regards

Derek Evans - Yeti3D Author

Yeti3D Site

GPL'ed Yeti3D

I think the Saturn could do better than that :p

The question is, could it do better than the PSX port (oops, PS1 now)? [/quote]

I have to say thats one great looking engine i wonder if the saturn could handle a port of this engine as well as improving in the graphics department. It would really be cool if the game could run at the saturns highest resolution and stil run at a stable speed but who knows until its done.

GPL'ed Yeti3D

I think the Saturn is more than capable of running this, since the GBA could do it using a software renderer. Everything is cube-based, so this could go along very well with the VDP1 quads and gouraud shading should be no problem.

GPL'ed Yeti3D

Don't you say your SMS emu developpement is over ?

Now you're a skilled porter !

Do you have enough motivation to handle the project ... (it's nearly summer holydays).

If you write the engine, maybe I can write alittle prog that use it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back