Grandia II

voices and battle were the only things that were better.

and those two things along don't make a better game

I prefered Grandia II to Skies of Arcadia as well. While as I have to say that I did prefer Skies 'real' over world as opposed to grandias point-and-click map, and skies had alot of neat side quests that Grandia II was lacking in, It wasn't as fun due to the seamingly endless battles (especialy when your flying your air ship against the wind near the end of the first disk), all of which were random and unavoidable. The fact that the voice actors for skies did little more then make the character grunt now and then didn't help matters much eather.

Also, The spell effects in skies were minor and unimpressive (IMO of corse), while as Grandia II had full blown cinematics for them (which I thought were realy neat). As far as plot goes, Grandia II had a fairly linear one up until about 3/4 through, and then they unloaded the plot twists all at once, which made me want to play the game through to the end even more then I already had. Skies had two plot twists that I can recall, but while as I liked them, they didn't make me go "Oh wow! I had no idea that was going to happen".

I liked Skies, just not as much as Grandia II basicly.

What made Skies so good to me is it was unique. Flying Ship Pirates in an RPG??? Who would have thought of that one? The fact that is was a refreshing change from your normal fantasy setting was a great addition to it's well-rounded gameplay. There's a few aspects that aren't as great as Grandia 2, but like I said, that's not all that make a great game, IMO

awesome game, one of my favorites, the battle system was cool, so were the attacks and special moves, the optiX were also cool ^^

I like games being linear and having side-quests, especially RPGs, because they follow a story.

Grandia2's music was amazing, the battle music was so good! Even when you got caught from the back!

Originally posted by racketboy@Feb 12, 2004 @ 10:07 PM

What made Skies so good to me is it was unique. Flying Ship Pirates in an RPG??? Who would have thought of that one?

You mean adding the pirates bit? That's all Heir of Zendor and Panzer Dragoon Saga would need right? Even TaleSpin used Air Pirates in a flying ship. ;)

basically. The concept was just put together nicely.

Never heard of Heir of Zendor, BTW

BTW, don't get me wrong -- I love Grandia 2, I just really love SoA

Grandia 2 is the best £15 I've ever spent.

The battle system is quality, and it is one of very very few RPGs that kept me intrested.

Positive Aspects to the game:

1) Nice gfxs (VGA+) ;)

2) Beautiful Music (I like the fact that it includes a music cd - BONUS)

3) Original and Innovative Combat System (So Addictive)

4) Attractive Story

5) No "random battles"

Now on with the negatives:

1) Too linear

2) Once u r done, it's difficult to want to play game again from beginning

3) Pre-rendered spells (Nice to look at first but eventually lose its charm)

Overall good and 3rd best rpg on DC behind PSO v1/v2 and Skies of Arcadia respectively

:cool:

Funny faces! :lol:

Attachments

• DSCN0774.jpg
    DSCN0774.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0774.jpg
    DSCN0774.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN0774.jpg
    DSCN0774.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 119
Originally posted by Rock@Feb 17, 2004 @ 01:37 AM

1) Nice gfxs (VGA+) ;)

Yup yup ;) See attached pic. It's from the PC version running at 1024x768x32 resolution (maximum resolution setting BTW) on a 21 inch flat display Trinitron CRT monitor.

Attachments

• DSCN0779.jpg
    DSCN0779.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0779.jpg
    DSCN0779.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0779.jpg
    DSCN0779.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 108
Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Feb 10, 2004 @ 03:48 PM

The battle system was excellent. I actually wanted to go into battle and try to get rid of all the baddies I could.

The graphics were nice and clean, and each town had its own distinct style. The music wasn't terrible either.

Can you guess from what town by which the attached pic was taken? :p

Attachments

• DSCN0776.jpg
    DSCN0776.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0776.jpg
    DSCN0776.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0776.jpg
    DSCN0776.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 111
Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Feb 9, 2004 @ 06:12 PM

Grandia 2 Rules! I love that game! Indeed one of the best battle systems ever, a good story and cool caracters. Oh, and the graphics are the best of its kind. Btw, how does vga improve it? I have the game both on my Dc and my Pc but there isn any special difference. (Ecept that I have 28" on my tv and 17" on my computer...)

Can the DC version do this inside a town? See attached. :ph34r: :D

Attachments

• DSCN0777.jpg
    DSCN0777.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0777.jpg
    DSCN0777.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0777.jpg
    DSCN0777.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
When I had this on the Dreamcast, I really enjoyed it game up to about 4/5ths of the way through. After that it just became too predictable.

I did pick up the PC version later but really haven't touched it.

Back