guitar info

I always wanted to learn how to play so what web sites would explain stuff to me as if i was a child that was dropped on his head a few times.

I'm a total begginer meaning i know nothing

Well you might want to get lessons...

Even though you're what 22? You're never too old to start. Trying to teach yourself guitar is very difficult. It would help if you got professional teaching or a friend taught you.

I am in the same boat. just find a site through google that has lists of chords and stuff and start playing. learn how to tune your guitar first...it's a good thing, trust me. Also, get extra strings while u are picking up a tuning fork or whatever u ned up getting. you WILL break a few strings along the way. and w/ newer strings they get out of tune easily...you'll have to tune it every 30min or so when u get new strings. once u get sum chords down. look for tabs on the net of songs that u like....try to find ones that have the chords u know. the sites w/ tabs usually have tutorials on how to read tab and stuff. tab is simple trust me.....just read the lil doc the sites have.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Jan 16, 2004 @ 07:46 AM

and w/ newer strings they get out of tune easily...you'll have to tune it every 30min or so when u get new strings.

What you should do is wait overnight after putting new strings on (and tuning them) for them to settle in. Then you tune them again and play away, they won't break anywhere near as often (nor get as badly out of tune so quickly) if you do that.

I say learn a few chords and then just teach yourself, if you get lessons or buy one of those 'Teach Yourself Guitar' books you most likely won't end up with any kind of style of your own at the end of it. Anyone can go and play blues scales all day, but it doesn't make you a good guitar player IMO.

I disagree.

I tried teaching myself but without any real guide, it's pretty hard. My instructor, john, was a big help. He taught me all the basics and then I could pick up from his platform.

I didn't say it was easy, just more satisfying and useful in the long run IMO. Compare how many of the innovative guitarists taught themselves to those who were taught according to the imaginary laws of how to play 'the right way'. Plus it costs less money.

Originally posted by Myname@Jan 16, 2004 @ 01:15 AM

I didn't say it was easy, just more satisfying and useful in the long run IMO. Compare how many of the innovative guitarists taught themselves to those who were taught according to the imaginary laws of how to play 'the right way'. Plus it costs less money.

I believe it is best to learn the rules before you go about breaking them. The things taught in lessons and books are tools. They'll only hamper your creativity if you use them as a crutch and lean on the same old tired riffs. Besides, it's good to know what's already established so you don't waste your time re-inventing the wheel while trying to be innovative. I guess it's a matter of taste and the kind of personality you have.

I taught myself at first, took a little out of a book, some off the internet, some from just messing around. Then I took lessons for a while, which were of great help in part because it forced me to work at guitar more regularly.

The good thing about lessons is that they offer you a chance to see the instrument in action. It can be had figuring out exactly what is "meant" by the instructions listed on black-and-white paper. Instructional videos may be a good middle ground.

Another tip about tuning is to stretch and snap the strings onto the fretboard when you've got each string into tune (for new strings). When you do this, the string immediately goes flat and you can tighten it up again. Strings are generally pretty sturdy (thinking light gauge electric here).

I can only say what works for me and it's something I tend to feel quite strongly about. You can only see so many people who can play Stairway to Heaven note-for-note and claim it makes them a good guitarist before getting pissed off with the whole thing.

As Mark of Destiny said, I guess it boils down to what you want to do with it.

This is what you need to 'learn' the guitar.

A few simple lessons on posture, hand position, and simple chord progression. After that, fire the teacher, and get some tablature.

Tablature is like sheet music, but it tells you exactly where to put your fingers.

I took about a month of lessons (4 total) back in 1992, and ive been playing since. Other than those simple lessons on (see above), im completely self taught. Thats all you need. Then once you learn a few chords, start or join a band.

Practice with that band all the time, and when youre not with them, practice more.

if you have no formal musical training then you will need a few lessons. there's almost no way you can teach yourself without getting frustrated and giving up if you have no idea what you're doing. i took piano lessons for 11 years before i picked up guitar and i just taught myself from my piano experience.

the best website is probably the on-line guitar archive, www.olga.net they have tabs and lessons and stuff like that which should help you get a base on some stuff.

i also recommend trying to find the program TabIt for windows, if you can. it allowed you to download tabs and it would display them and play them back for you. it even spit out tabs from MIDI files.

An instructor is such a waste of money lol. Every tab book I've ever had (a lot) has a key to the symbols in the back of it that explains everything.

IMO:

The key to teaching yourself though tab is to not attempt more than you can handle, which means you might not get to start off playing what you want. I've had a whole lot of books etc but the single thing that helped me most was "metallica: riff by riff". It shows just the main parts to each song from metallicas first 5 albums, nothing too tough.

Something else I had that was really cool was this megadeth book that came with a cd. That stuff was pretty hard to play but the cd helped a lot by going through all the parts slowly. Can't remember what that book was called...

I recommend both books whether you like the music or not.

For strings, just starting out you would want low gauge strings and you definately could use a tuner. You can get a decent one for like 10 or 15 bucks at any guitar shop.

i went with "Guitar for Dummies" not bad i'm able to play the A family of chords LOL lolLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

(LOL ahhhhh i'm a sped but that's what the book was made for speds that can read)

(step one this piece of wood with strings is called a guitar it makes music. step two you put your hands in different possitions to make different sounds. step three if you can read this you are too close. step four now that you know what a guitar is and the objective of a guitar you can start learning stuff about it. step five here's what these drawings stand for we'll be using them be familiar with them. step................)

actually just listen to ac/dc and sabbath records for like 3 weeks straight and try to play along. if you learn how to play guitar that way you're much better off.

Back