Has anyone else received one of these?

Dud

Established Member
I keep getting these legitimate looking e-mails from "PayPal" that request you enter all your account information or else you will be suspended. Watch out they are fake, and will take you to an extremely legitimate looking fake site. Assholes.

I'm sure a lot of people here use PayPal, and I wanted to throw this out there so no one gets ripped off. That's how nice I am...... <_<

This goes on constantly. Banks are a major target as well. As a general rule never use account information update links in emails at all, no matter how legitimate it looks.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sep 10, 2004 @ 10:30 PM

This goes on constantly. Banks are a major target as well. As a general rule never use account information update links in emails at all, no matter how legitimate it looks.

That is sound advice. The links took me to some website that was just an IP address (No PayPal domain or 'https://').

Yeah. These phishing (sp) scams have been going around a lot lately. I have gotten them from citibank, earthlink, ebay, aol, etc.

The sad thing is.. it works on some people

got one, but a different, it was saying that I paid for an auction it was an incredible amount. But the address was aw-service@paypal.com as opposed to service@paypal. the actual address, it sucks people do this crappy stuff but its all to get a buck..... bastardsssss :wanker :wanker :wanker

I got one as well. As soon as I clicked the link, I thought I didn't seem right. Same thing, it took me to an IP instead of paypal. Bastards!

I'd never fall for that, but my father, mother, uncles, aunties and 90% of my other computer-iliterate relatives would (if they even knew what Paypal was, that is). It's not their fault, however, since such kind of advice is not readily avaliable to non-savy computer users. Maybe after more billion of dollars are lost due to retarted viruses/trojan infections authorities and major companies will realize they need to educate consumers on computer usage, instead of festing on their sheer ignorance.

Either that or purge the support for HTML e-mails.

I got one of those...but i just deleted the message cause iam to damn lazy to have to fill out shit. im happy i didnt fill it out now hearing this.

Haven't gotten one from paypal but did get one from ebay asking for my paypal info like my password. The real red flag came up when it asked me for my bank and pin #. What the hell do they need my pin for??? :huh

I actually got some really sneaky ones that claimed that my ebay email address had been changed. Too bad they sent me like 5 of them. Then there was some really sneaky paypal one where they showed a fake reciept that made it look like I sent several hundred to some guy, and had a link if you didn't authorize the transaction. Too bad I got like three of those, and besides Paypal keeps records on everything online.

But someone less careful could really get screwed by something like this. Pricks.

I think this is something like what you are talking about, Alex:

Dear eBay Member,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information ( i.e.change of address).

2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.

3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

https://www.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?Sign...Name=h:h:sin:US

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to use eBay will become restricted.

Sincerely,

Member Services

eBay, Inc.

This one is quite clever because it appears to come from a regular eBay address and it makes you think you haven't got time to verify it. However, look at the message source and you'll see that the hyperlink to the real ebay address actually takes you to another site entirely:

Code:
Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below: </p>

<a href="http://luigi911.com/signin/ssh/ebay/pages/services/.../error.asp">

<span style="text-decoration: underline"> <span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif">

https://www.</span>ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US</span>

</a></p>

thats why i worry about people like my parents or siblings or well most EVERYONE i know... we farm folk, we know shiat... literally shiat, all we know is what comes from the ass of the cows.

Originally posted by Curtis@Sep 15, 2004 @ 07:27 AM

I think this is something like what you are talking about, Alex:

Essentially, but it actually states that your email address has already been changed.

The Paypal ones I've got are much worse, since they look like fake reciepts. I can see a lot of people clicking on the link to dispute the payment, only to be feeding their account info to the scammers.

Back