Has anyone used these saturn modchips before?

Hi

I am just starting to get into the saturn again and wanted to mod it.

I looked high and low for mods but there is nothing around. I did buy these saturn mods from http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm

I was wondering if anyone has used these before? as I could not get it to work. Also I must of damaged the saturn cd drive, as it just spins like mad.

I have another saturn and was looking at the cd drive, could someone tell me what this one is, as it looks very diffrent from most I have seen. It has one pin different as well.

picture of it here. Click picture to make it bigger

Edit, seems to be sorted removed post below

I bought 2 of the chips from Robwebb , modded my 64pin chip model 2 saturn without any problem , gonna do my other 1 soon. I wouldn't have thought plugging the chip in would have damaged the drive , have you removed chip replaced the ribbon cables correctly and it still doesn't work? Did it work ok before mod ?

The pic is of a model 1 saturn , i've only ever tried to mod 1 and destroyed it :thumpdown:

By the way what version was the one you've had problems with?

It was working fine without the chip. I could not get the chip to work and I did check things several times but nothing. I tried it without the mod and after that it just went mad. I have done a small video to show you what I am talking about.

I have just bought another saturn model 2 and I did a swap with the other model 2 saturn, with the broken cd drive but it would not work. So put back in the new one and works.

Anyway I have just tried the chip again as explained on his website and it still won't work. The cd drive just won't spin with the mod in.

The new saturn has a 64 pin IC chip and my old broken cd drive has, 32 pins

I have noticed that my new saturn has the ribbon cable connecting the mainboard to the board where the joypad ports are. Have you use the trick below on his help page? I don't want to damage the modchip if it won't work. /www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturnchipguide2.htm

The picture you see below was to find out if anyone had seen the cd drive before, as it don't seem to have a 64 or 32 IC chip on it. I can't use the mod chips on that one anyway, as the cable won't fit the cd drive and it has an extra power connector.

I don't know what has happend to my post but am having problems posting on this forum. so here it is again but with my reply.

Edit removed duplicate posts, as posting problem seems to be sorted.

My post has gone again, can someone please sort the bugs out on here as it is a pain. Thankyou

Sent you a pm sirsmeggy, as I am having problems posting on here.

As my orignial post has gone for some reason, here it is, as this thread was started by me.

Edit removed duplicate post as problem sorted

Is that the origonal ribbon cable your using our the one from the modchip? just asking cos all the ones i've seen are twisted.

The new saturn I have, has the twisted cable from the cd drive to the motherboard, see picture below. Then there is another cable that came with the mod, so yes It is the orignial cable. As I was saying below, I still can't get the mod to work.

Click to make picture bigger

so you adapted chip as per instructions?

Attachments

• 64pin.JPG
    64pin.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 167
No I have not done that. That is what I was asking you on my 2nd reply, if you had done that before.

I was just a bit worried that I might damage the modchip by doing that.

Anyway looks like I might have to give it a shot, although my soldering skill are not that great lol

Well I don't know whats wrong, I can't get these stupid modchips to work.

The cd drive started to read once But now it just keeps saying checking disk format, no movement on cd drive.

I just hope someone one day, finds a way to boot without a modchip.

Well I have given up on these mods. I just can't get it to work. I have done exactly what it says on the picture, that sirsmeggy posted but still no good. I think the mod chips from robwebb are just rubbish, or he sent me a duff one.

I will use the SSF emulator on my pc for now, as that plays my disks fine.

You might all be interested about a thread on cd freaks, lets hope they can find a work around

Anyway thanks sirsmeggy but unless there is a better option, I will have to do without a real saturn.

Link http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=59813&page=17&pp=25

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
robwebb said:
Works with all 32pin chip Saturns (like the V1) and in addition it works with most 64pin versions of Saturn too.
[/FONT]

Wait, did I read something wrong?

Does that modchip from Robwebb's store works on model 1 saturns or did he mean the Victor V-Saturn?

SegaAges said:
My post has gone again, can someone please sort the bugs out on here as it is a pain.

Someone turned on moderation for posts from new members, but I guess I didn't get that memo.

Did you change anything to fix the issue with posts mal? After reading this earlier I modified the settings for auto-moderation based on minimum post count, its a hell of a lot more lenient now.

When I posted that, Racketboy did not have any in stock. I don't know how he managed to get them, as I checked his site before I bought the ones from robwebb.

Back