Here's the gen/md 3-country mod diagram.

Nothing special, rudimentary circuit even... (that's an on-off-on 3-position switch, btw :) )

ack...wow, ikonboard 3 sucks... i cant use .txt extensions for images o_O

http://www.geocities.com/muttfox/genmod.txt

that's the link, if you wanna save the file, it's a .gif format

EDIT: fixed link x.x

That's a pretty neat mod, Muttfox!
biggrin.gif
Excellent stuff.

I should warn you that the pin numbers are *not* the same for all G/MD models, though. For example, on Mega Drive 2/Genesis 2 board version VA4 (with the 315-5690 chip) you want pins 44 (50/60Hz) and 61 (Eng/Jpn) respectively. I think it's different again for the Genesis 3, I'll have to check.

FWIW my own mod instructions (just the boring two switch version
wink.gif
) for the later model Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 can be found at: http://www.mikeg2.freeserve.co.uk/masterful/md2new.html

Mike

my saturn is actually modded in a similar way, it's a single 3-way switch for US/JPN/EUR.

might give it a try when I next order parts, and take apart one of my gennys again.

after some messing around today, I found out a genesis model 1 can be modded with a simple 3x flipswitch WITHOUT the need for anything else but the switch and wires.

this has been tested on a model 1 european MegaDrive, but should work on other model 1's as well, and possibly model 2+3 too.

buy a single pole (3 pins), triple throw (up, middle, down) flipswitch.

cut JP2 and JP4, if they are connected between the 2 spots (which is the case on PAL machines).

now connect the left side of JP2 to one side pin of the switch, the left point of JP4 to the other side pin, and connect the middle pin to any ground spot on the board. the large silver part at the back of the mainboard would work, but also the right side of JP1 or 3.

triple.jpg

Explanation:

In order for the system to run at 50 Hz, JP2 needs to be grounded.

to run in japanese mode, JP4 needs to be grounded.if they are left open, it runs at 60 Hz and/or english mode.

with the switch in the top position, JP2 is grounded and JP4 is left unconnected, resulting in 50 Hz english mode = European PAL mode.

with the switch in the bottom position, JP2 is left unconnected, and JP4 is grounded, resulting in 60 Hz japanese mode.

with the switch in the middle position, both JP2 and JP4 are unconnected, resulting in 60 Hz english mode = US mode.

I don't know if the same works for Model 2/3 and Nomad, if someone tries it out, report back here please.

Arakon, do you have details of the saturn mod switch? I'd like to do a similar thing with my saturn / genesis combo project. the cart slot on the saturn is perfect to accept japanese megadrive carts.

Need some more help Arakon.

I have a PAL MD1.... VA4.

You excellent new one switch mod is cool, but on my board

JP1 has a capacitor between pads.

JP2 is joined by a track.

JP3 is joined by a track.

JP4 is not joined by a track. (your tutorial says to cut the track between JP4....?????)

md1.gif

I have a triple throw switch ready to go....but need some help.

Cheers

that's why it says IF they are connected.

if there's no trace between them, it saves you one cut to do.

just cut JP2.

if the system shorts out (goes black when switching), you might have to cut JP3. try without the cut first.

slick mod arakon! i guessed it was probably entering a binary number into somewhere like your CD mod but i couldnt be arsed to follow the tracks and figure it out. Saved me the effort, thanx! it'l be one less switch on my complete mod (i want to place the switches for both the megadrive and the megaCD on the md with a passthrough cable at the back.

Sorry to ask for more info,

But right now I have joined the:

left side of JP2 to top of switch

left side of JP4 to bottom of switch.

Do I now have to join middle of switch to the large silver bit at back and right side of JP3

or

just the silver part at the back?

cheers for all your help so far
biggrin.gif

Nevermind, i worked out a much better mod. I have a preliminary circuit diagram for a two switch megadrive and megaCD mod with no supporting circuitry. The diagram is based on assumptions though from your website arakon as i dont know which switch controls which pins are high and low on your multibios. It only shows how to wire the switch and what the positions are for which region. anyway i'll continue.

Assuming you use DPDT switches instead of SPDT with standard wiring to the mega CD on one side of each switch only. This leaves the other sides of each switch free. I assume that the switches close on the same side as the pole is pushed (varies on the switch model). On the left switch (according to the switch template) the top pin on the free channel is wired to the left side of jumper 2 on the megadrive. The bottom pin is wired to the left side of jp4. The centre pin is wired to the centre pin of the right switch free channel. The top pin of the right switch free channel is wired to the right side of jp3.

I will include a diagram when i dig up a painting package for linux and post the link here.

In this circuit in euro mode the left switch grounds JP2. In Jap mode the same switch grounds jp4 instead. In USA mode the right switch breaks the connection between the ground and the other jumpers. In coloumbs mode the megadrive will revert the megadrive to pal mode.

This only leaves the other poles of both switches to be wired according to Arakon's multibios diagram and the four wires to pins 1, 30, 35 and 39 of the bios are soldered :) to a socket at the back of the megadrive in the space reserved for the modem port. Then a pass through cable wired from the back of the mega CD wired to the correct pins in the multibios. This allows for the two units to be disconnected easily.

What do you think of this idea?

Sounds interesting.......

and i've just started the other version
sad.gif
D'OH

look forward anyway to seeing your diagram

smile.gif

the top one, like the diagram.

Did you know the word "ryoko" actually translates as "demon woman" in english?

yeah my local branch of forbidden planet has a small bust of ryoko which would look great on the top of my monitor, if i ever get out of debt i might buy one

Haven't been to my local FB...must go soon.

WooHoo, finished my MD1 mod switch......just off to test it...

lets hope it works and don't blow anything.

:woah: :woah: :woah:

Ohhh bugger, it didn't work.

Can boot a MD game fine in any setting (us 60, jp 60 and 50 uk)

But when I connect up the MegaCD 1 and turn it on on any setting it says

ERROR!!!!

THIS IS A PAL/SECAM-COMPATIBLE MEGA-CD AND WILL NOT OPERATE IN NTSC REGIONS

If I then hit restart a few times, the MegaCD boot screen appears. ut sadly when I try to play a game, the speech still starts to soon before the video kicks in (bad lip synch)

any suggestions?

:woah:

the mega CD isnt region cracked. the mod you did is only for the megadrive side. You need to region crack the mega CD for it to work with your mod

at least it looks like its working...

Going by some of the txt files I've read, just a mod on the Mega Drive will also help in playing other region disc's on the Mega CD

Back