Hey remember when Shenmue was on Saturn!

Well it never came out God knows i was waiting for years for it 2,,Well anyway if you wana see what it looked like just

Beat Shenmue 2 on DC and watch the credits at the end u will see a preview of the game on SATURN....
biggrin.gif

Hey can u tell me were i can get it or were u've seen it?

I'm on disc 3 in Shenmue 2 and can't wait 2 see what it looked like?

Originally posted by SeGa4life@June 04 2002,12:38

Hey can u tell me were i can get it or were u've seen it?

I'm on disc 3 in Shenmue 2 and can't wait 2 see what it looked like?

SegaFans has the video uploaded it to FilePlanet. That's where it's at.

WOW.......All I can say is Thank You...You Da Man...
biggrin.gif

Man I got choked u watching that.....I can't beleave it NEVER made it..!
angry.gif

Well you know, the saturn was dying out at the time... Also the additional texture processor it was claimed to have probably wasn't a cheap add on. If it came with the game I'd think it'd be a bit expensive, and if it didn't, many people really wouldn't go out and buy the accessory by itself just for one game (on the other hand, i'm pretty sure many japanese would've bought it for VF3 which would've used the same add on).

Originally posted by SeGa4life@June 05 2002,17:15

WOW.......All I can say is Thank You...You Da Man...
biggrin.gif

Man I got choked u watching that.....I can't beleave it NEVER made it..!
angry.gif

But it was released - just on the Dreamcast, not the Saturn. I for one am greatful this decision was made, because I don't think the Saturn would have been up to the task.

The movie really shows off how much Shenmue has matured since the Saturn version. I am thankful that AM2 have not stopped at that point and brought us the Dreamcast version of the game.

Well, they might have excluded the voices in the saturn version, i'm sure that would reduce the number of cds significantly.

Yes, I agree - they probably would have cut the voices. i think it would have been a 2-4 disc game, with large portions of the stroy told via FMV, PDS style.

Also the additional texture processor it was claimed to have probably wasn't a cheap add on. If it came with the game I'd think it'd be a bit expensive, and if it didn't, many people really wouldn't go out and buy the accessory by itself just for one game (on the other hand, i'm pretty sure many japanese would've bought it for VF3 which would've used the same add on).

Do you have a reputable source for this? As far as I know, there's no way to add just a texture processor to the Saturn...

The slot on the back (where the MPEG card goes) has direct access to the framebuffer, so that might be a possible way to do it. But I haven't heard anything but rumours either.

The slot on the back (where the MPEG card goes) has direct access to the framebuffer, so that might be a possible way to do it.

Not really. That might be used to add a complete VDP, but unless the VDP1 exposes some of its internal architecture on that bus (which seems unlikely), you can't add just a texturing unit, because there'd be nothing to handle the rest of the drawing process.

Yeah, but I kind of assumed they'd add a completely new video processor (a texturing unit in the same sense that VDP1 is a texturing unit relative to VDP2).

I heard it used the 4MB RAM cart only.

While 4MB worth of extra RAM could make wonders to a Saturn 3D game (the only game to use it was Final Fight Revenge, but it was too sucky to show any potential), the polygon count in Saturn Shenmue seem much higher than ANY other Saturn game (including Grandia, Shining Force III and Burning Rangers, the most polygon-intensive Saturn games). Just look at the character noses and lips. Not even the PSX showed something something like that.

I bet the game was going to use a cart with an extra processor for calculating the extra polygons.

Well, since I can't find anything about it, and since Sega happens to employ both the people who designed the Saturn and people who have done a killer job programming it in the past, I'm inclined to believe that it was just a rumor started by people who think that Saturn sucks at 3D.

All I can say is that is amazing that they had it looking that good for the Saturn. I am glad it made it to the DC though.

One this I thought was weird -- wasn't there a Saturn hooked up to Ryo's TV? And he had VF posters up? But yet the game takes place in the 80s doesn't it?

Back