How are Message Boards Created?

I have a little HTML site, I would love to have a message board like this for comments. I like this forum, so I thought I'd ask here.

How is a message Board created? I have seen services that use out links to their sites to provide forums for private websites... but I want my own.

Is it a script or program? Is it possible without using another service?

My site is just a small Vic-20 site, so memory shouldn't be a problem -- not many people will visit.

If you're able to install PHP and MySQL on your server, then you can use Invision or any other PHP/MySQL message board. If perl is installed you can use a CGI board. But like racketboy pointed out, it'd probably be easier to just sign up for an offsite one.

the offsite ones tend to drown people in banners and popups. if your server supports cgi, a bunch of boards will work.

I am not so familiar with setting up sites. I expect low traffic so I don't need something as sophisticated as this board. I use a commercial site purchased from Yahoo. Are there any downloads you can suggest? Perhaps a script or something to set-up my board on my site without going to the pop-up ridden alternatives?

You have to tell use what languages (php, cgi, asp, etc) your host supports and what databases they support (mysql, ms access, sqlserver, etc). Without those two pieces of info there is no way we can help you.

If you want to set one up through a free, full service board host deal, try:

http://www.myikonboard.com/

If you're gonna set one up on your own server and can use PHP and MySQL, go with Invision Power Board. There's a link at the bottom of this page to that website.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Jul 13, 2003 @ 03:31 PM

How is a message Board created?

Well, when a male message board and a female message board really like one another they get a warm funny feeling in their tummies. This is called "love"...

Originally posted by Curtis+Jul 13, 2003 @ 06:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis @ Jul 13, 2003 @ 06:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-jeff-20@Jul 13, 2003 @ 03:31 PM

How is a message Board created?

Well, when a male message board and a female message board really like one another they get a warm funny feeling in their tummies. This is called "love"... [/b][/quote]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
lol

Yahoo Web Hosting Plans

Which plan are you on? As you can see from the chart the starter plan does not offer CGI, PHP or MySQL support, but the other two do. So if you're on one of those you can just install a board on your server. Which is relatively easy if you can read.

Go to http://www.hotscripts.com/ and to the PHP section to find some sort of comment or guestbook system, whatever you want.

If you don't have the Yahoo account with PHP/MySQL, you can get an Invision Board offsite board at http://www.invisionfree.com/. I don't like the YaBB based board like Pro Boards nor iKonboard ones.

You could always ask Iceman really nicely for hosting on this server.

Back