How do you make a steering wheel work with games?

I recently picked up a PS steering wheel at the goodwill for 5$. It's an Interact Performance V3FX Racing Wheel2.

The main reason I got it is so that I can get one of those PS to Dreamcast controller convertes, and then share the same steering wheel between both systems.

I have no idea how to get it to work. I've got 5 days to find out if it works so I can bring it back if it doesn't.

My guess is that it needs to be programmed/setup correctly, but I have no idea what's going on. There are two lights, one under "Vibration On/Off" and one under "() Digital \n @ Analog". It defaults to having the Vibration light off and the digital/analog light on.

There is a "Set" button underneath the lights. Pressing and holding it for a while causes the controller to make some beeping noises, and the digital/analog light flashes fastly.

On the buttom face on the wheel, there is the word "Digital" over the [] button and the word "Analog" over the O button. If I press one of these while the light is in the "flashing furiously" state, then the light changes to "flashing slower".

I've tried several dozen button combos but have yet to achieve any change in the state of the lights. And none of the games I"ve tried will recognize the pedals (the wheel itself works fine as the left analog stick replacement).

The games I have are Wipeout 3, Sanfrancisco Rush, and Need For Speed. I also inherited the following from my brother in law (none of which I actually like):

Formula 1 Champ Ed

Gran Turismo

Grand Tour Racing 98

Nascar Racing

Ridge Racer

The options menu for Gran Turismo has a setting for analog controls, and lists Steering, Brake, and Acceleration. I assume this is where it would register the pedals. However, they all say "N/A" after them, and when I try to enter the setting to change it, it just beeps angrilly at me.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

JMT.

Searching for manuals or posts on the interweb was the first thing I tried. So far I haven't been able to come up with anything that explains how to use a steering wheel.

Someone on this board must have a wheel for their PS/GC/XBox. What do you have to do to get the game to recognize the pedals?

Thanks,

JMT.

I have a DC wheel, but you don't have to do anything with that one, as the pedals are just recognized as the L/R triggers.

I figured it out!!! Just took a little more engineering investigation.

Here's how the darned thing works:

Press and hold the Set button to enter the set mode. The analog LED flashes furiously. PS games think the controller is unplugged and automatically pause.

Pressing the Start Button in "set mode" toggles the Vibration on and off and takes it out of "set mode". I verified that vibration does work! It's not like the force-feedback wheels on a PC though, it just vibrates like a controller.

The pedals default to the up/down on the right analog stick and the steering wheel defaults to the right/left on the left analog stick. The state of Digital/analog depends on the game it seems. When an analog compatible game boots, it automatically lights up.

While in "Set mode" you can re-map the buttons. First you press the destination button (for instance, depress the right pedal). The analog LED flashes slower. Then you press the source button (for instance, X). Then the controller exits "set mode", and now the X button is mapped to the right pedal.

Everything works! And with the button mapping, I can make it work with any game (though it might not always be analog).

I figured it out!!! Just took a little more engineering investigation.

Here's how the darned thing works:

Press and hold the Set button to enter the set mode. The analog LED flashes furiously. PS games think the controller is unplugged and automatically pause.

Pressing the Start Button in "set mode" toggles the Vibration on and off and takes it out of "set mode". I verified that vibration does work! It's not like the force-feedback wheels on a PC though, it just vibrates like a controller.

The pedals default to the up/down on the right analog stick and the steering wheel defaults to the right/left on the left analog stick. The state of Digital/analog depends on the game it seems. When an analog compatible game boots, it automatically lights up.

While in "Set mode" you can re-map the buttons. First you press the destination button (for instance, depress the right pedal). The analog LED flashes slower. Then you press the source button (for instance, X). Then the controller exits "set mode", and now the X button is mapped to the right pedal.

Everything works! And with the button mapping, I can make it work with any game (though it might not always be analog).
Is there a way to force it to analog for PC?

Back