How does HAM work?

Many times I have heard of and witnessed the SegaCD's ability to display colors beyond the standard Genesis color palette using a trick called HAM. A few guides for the system have explained that it works by placing two colors over one another to make a third color, but that shallow explanation is all that I can find. This leaves me with lots of questions. How does HAM really work? Why is it limited to 256 colors onscreen (or is it really)? Do HAM colors still fall within the 512 colors from the Genesis palette? What other kinds of limitations does it have? Does it compromise the hardware somehow?

I've always been very curious about this, not because I have any practical application for it, but because I just like to understand. If anyone can explain it to me or point me in the right direction, I would honestly be very grateful. Thanks!

Originally posted by it290@Aug 15, 2004 @ 07:35 PM

This has been discussed before. The Sega CD/Genesis do not support HAM mode.

Well sorry, but I couldn't find anything about it when I searched the forums. If the system doesn't support HAM, fine, but how does it get more colors? That's all I want to know.

Originally posted by it290@Aug 16, 2004 @ 03:09 AM

Here is a link to the older thread:

http://www.phantasy-star-universe.com/foru...indpost&p=87256

I don't know of any information that is more specific to your question, sorry.

Wow, that was a really interesting read. I've often wondered if something like that scanline trick that was described there would be possible, and lo it turns out to be the main answer to my question. The rest of the information there is great as well. Thank you for finding that topic for me!

Back