How is Super Mario RPG?

What do you think? :p Its a great game by Nintendo/Square could be little more polish but still good, I hated the fact that it wasn´t release in Europe back then.

Had no love for this game.
I'm part of the jaded crownd; if it doesn't captivate or pull me in for the first 30 minutes to an hour, I drop it.

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't see this thread until now ;)

Super Mario RPG is one of the few RPG's I have ever played all the way through, and It would have to be my 'pick of the genre!' This game is the most fun and challenging RPG I have played. I'm talking about the battle system here, and the difficulty of the game. This RPG's gameplay is above the low bar set by most RPG's, and I believe that if a game is going to be judged on anything then what else is better to judge the game than the gameplay?

Most RPG's have pretty crap gameplay and thus are rather boring to play - so they rely on good storylines to keep the player interested. Super Mario RPG doesn't have a good storyline - sure it's better than the storyline of say scroller games and shooter games, but still it's not the best story for an RPG out there. Like I said - I judge games on the gameplay. The story has got nothing to do with the gameplay. Ice, if you are the type you play RPG's practically for the storyline, then I recommend you (and everybody else in the same scenario) to go read a book. Books are where you go for good stories - not games!.

Graphics? Yep, nothing bad here. You can really tell that Nintendo's involvement in the game had an impact on the graphics - they chose the colours used by most of the other SNES mario games - so Super Mario RPG fits in with the others perfectly. Not much else to say about the graphics - there're not too important to me. Check out some screenies if you want. They are usually pretty good indicaters.

Sound? Good god the sound/ music is good! Oh yeah, the tunes and melodies played in this RPG are catchy and grow on you (well, at least on me ;)). Sound is an important aspect of a game to me. My first console was a NES, and the games I owned had some very memorable music. I believe that if the games didn't have good music, I would never have gotten much into games in the first place. If you like the ambient/ atmospheric music which seems to be more popular with games these days, then too bad. If you are reminiscent of the catchy tunes found in the games of old, then this game is a winner! Oh, and you will recognise a lot of the sfx in this game, as it has (like many other mario games), borrowed some of the most recognisable sfx from other Mario games (coins, jumping... ;))

So, there you have it. Sounds good, doesnt it? :p

Hehe - just began playing the game through again, and this thread popped back up :)

Once again, good game. Good RPG B)

Oh man, one of the few RPGs i have actually finished. I love this game. It's just awesome. It's good too that it has a lot of mini-games for sideshow and a funny plot. Mario can't get better than that. P.S. haven't played any Paper Mario games. :(

aclors said:
Oh man, one of the few RPGs i have actually finished. I love this game. It's just awesome. It's good too that it has a lot of mini-games for sideshow and a funny plot. Mario can't get better than that. P.S. haven't played any Paper Mario games. :(

All that needed to be said right here.

My first RPG, and the most memorable.

I must've played through it at least three times.

One of the best games ever.

Back