How long until my saturn motor dies after swapping

i cannot find a modchip or an installer for a near reasonable price so iam going to continue swapping.. i do not stop the disc with y hand though, i flip it out with my pointer finger , making for no motor stopping.. am i still hurting my saturn alot? how long will it last? will i finish Panzer saga in time?!?!

Sweet merciful crap, calm down. Your saturn will live just as long as it would live normally if you are swapping correctly... well maybe a little less time, but the saturn i got had been beeing swapped on since 1999 and it's still runnin' smooth.

I swap by sticking my index finger in that little ditch thing next to the cd and then flip it out like you. I have a model one, but it doesn't matter what model you have. If anything, mine will die before yours since i hear model one saturns have crappy motors.

im aware hes not bomberman, remembering avatars is just easier, right cap'n?

thx for the advice, swap away! ps did any of you guys ever get a working version of thunderforce gold pack? if so, how is it? my cuesheet is broken..
ohmy.gif

Originally posted by cherok@May 16 2002,22:27

im aware hes not bomberman, remembering avatars is just easier, right cap'n?

thx for the advice, swap away! ps did any of you guys ever get a working version of thunderforce gold pack? if so, how is it? my cuesheet is broken..
ohmy.gif

I got it to work okay. However, that was a long, long time ago during the FDS or perhaps MS era. It's a nice compilation of shooters.

I'm pretty much an anti-swap advocate since it's extra wear and tear and I want my machines to last as long as is possible. If you're looking for a mod board, Lan-Kwei and Game Gizmo both have them in stock. It's the same board but Lan-Kwei is only $9, Game Gizmo is like $30.

If you have a Model-1 Saturn though you're probably out of luck and swapping is your only option. I keep my model 1 up in the closet in pristine condition and use my Model 2's for grunt work of playing games daily and programming
tongue.gif
They're a lot cheaper, flimsy platic and ghetto guts. Almost like a PSX
tongue.gif

You guys, i really don't think that swapping puts any wear and tare on the saturn at all. If you don't manually stop the motor, then it's ok. It cuts power as soon as it reads there's no disc, unlike the psx which is a cunt and keeps spinning.

Originally posted by DBOY@May 18 2002,13:55

Better safe than sorry man.

True, but the saturn motor stops after you remove the disc, the playstation one keeps going, the wear/tear is much less on the saturn than on the psx

i'm sorry but i need to bring up that classic argument, Swap method man destroy your saturn, cost to replace 20 $,

mod chip for your saturn which might break anyway 20-30$ is it really worth it?

Well i just found out that i actually have a model 1 saturn with 21 pins and i'm gonna buy a modchip for it. However, i'm not buying because it hink it would be better for the saturn, i'm buying it because i am just really lazy and don't feel like swapping everytime i wanna play an import. Chereok, what you said is right, sticking your finger in the grove and flipping out is how it should be done.

Well a mod helps the Sat in more ways than just no need to swap. You know how the Sat laser will go up to check the strip of authenticity? Well it doesn't do that, it just keeps spinning, and therefore, loads the game. That way, your drive can last a TINY bit longer, since it doesn't move the laser assembly up to scan the outer part of the disc. Doesn't really help the Sat, but I thought I should share that with you.

The laser assembly is moving all the time when you're playing a game anyway so it doesn't really make any differnce. In fact since your laser is no lkonger traveling the full length of the disc, I'd think regular reading of only the inner disc would be an invitation for dust to collect on the metal bars.

However it does without save your motor an the assembly the disc snaps onto by reducing wear and tear compared to swapping.

Back