how many think sega will come out with a

they should release a system and this time, release more import/overseas games!!!

SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the whole thing if they do really well as software company they will generate some income and will invest money in to some nice new system
smile.gif

My answer is yes.

Well if Sega does REALLY well with software, that means more money in a new system+a user following. Not only would there be 3rd party support, but now they see how great sega is at games, and that sega games would ONLY be on this ONE system. So I think yes, but it wont be for a looong time, I dont know about the next generation of systems, but hopefully the one after that. Unless they get so used to making the games, they forget about hardware
sad.gif

I've heard an interesting theory that Sega may just be observing the other console makes as they make games for all the systems. In the process they can learn a bit more and take the time to figure out what they want to do with hardware.

Half their problem with hardware in the past is been becasue they've hurried to always have the cutting edge stuff. Like having to beat Sony to the 32-bit systems.

I almost guarentee you there is somebody in Sega that is working on furture hardware -- at least prototyping.

Originally posted by cww80@Aug. 06 2002, 4:32 pm

no chance...the real money is in software, not hardware

If that were true, Nintendo would have been out of it for a while. They make excellent software too, but you don't see them ditching out.

Money might be better for software, but I'm sure hardware (and licence fees in particular) brings in a decent amount of cash

No.

Sega's best work has always been their software. Their systems were nice, for the most part, and the games on them were part of that, but we're beyond the days of "tricks". Huh? The stuff developers had to do to get around hardware limitations to get the intended result. Scaling on the Genesis, 3D on SNES, etcetera. Now it's all about the familiarity with the platform. If Sega knows the system they're developing for like they would know one of their own systems, their best days are ahead of them.

No, not at all.

The stockholders would absolutely flip. Their credibility is in shambles. I know this won't be the case ten years from now, but realistically - hardware manufacturing costs way too much money. Software is where it's at. Especially since they can go multiplatform, whereas they'd be limited to their own console (which in turn would be dictated by the number of systems sold).

With that, I'd like to see them remain a software company.

I'd like to think it will happen eventually, but I'm not holding my breath. For me though, Dreamcast with it's software lineup wipes the floor with PS2, Cube and Xbox and I can't see any real signs of that changing. Obsolete or not, a console is as good as its games, right?

I agree with Segasonic.

I think they will make one eventually, but my dc will keep me entertained for ages yet
smile.gif

Originally posted by segasonic@Aug. 07 2002, 5:09 am

I'd like to think it will happen eventually, but I'm not holding my breath. For me though, Dreamcast with it's software lineup wipes the floor with PS2, Cube and Xbox and I can't see any real signs of that changing. Obsolete or not, a console is as good as its games, right?

correct

Originally posted by JohnD+Aug. 06 2002, 8:43 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JohnD @ Aug. 06 2002, 8:43 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-segasonic@Aug. 07 2002, 5:09 am

correct[/b][/quote]

Incorrect -

A console is only as good as its marketing.

Originally posted by Cynnamin@Aug. 07 2002@12:02 pm

Incorrect -

A console is only as good as its marketing.

I disagree. Sony have always seemed to have the best marketing, which is why the Playstation/Playstation 2 have outsold all other consoles on the market. Does this make these consoles the best choice for gamers looking for quality games?

no it doesent but i think around here comapnies and product basicaly get rated on how well they sell not on their quality sure some people will rate on quality but majority rates on sales take movies for example i see totlay diferent reviews in the smaller papers than in the mains stream also on products -- like gateway and packardbell computers -- the worst shit out there for pcs (packard bell was the laughings stock among pc companies but at one point they were the number one rated and the number one selling ) -- i dont know if ne1 remembers how shity the pacards were in the mid to late 90's

so from a buisness sense i think that guy is right about the marketing-- and many people fall for marketing -- myself i try to take the things apart as best i can ( in a sense) before i buy anything -- but as for game systems i havent done that yet - if i whent on best system technicaly id have an xbox but game wise im still waiting to see more and cant decide between the systems ( im a big rpg fan and i only see ps2 winning in that arena -- so i just play with my old sega systems and the DC

Back