How to build a robot from a floppy drive?!

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
http://ohmslaw.com.leech.dk/robot.htm

This has gotta be one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard of (other then the invention of jell-o). These guys literally made a robot out of a standard 3.5" floppy disk drive without taking it apart! The cost is almost nothing too so you guys who think that you could never do it because of financial reasons can do it! This is freakin cool. I might try it when I get my place cleaned up.

/me wonders if the Borg can do a better job.
biggrin.gif

How are the photo sensors used? From what I read, it just seems like a 9-volt powering a motor.

I hope I overlooked something and the photo sensors are used as a switch somehow. It doesn't seem like a robot if it's just a powered motor that runs into walls.

floppy is too much of a puss me and my friend are making Floppy 3 mk1 it will be a beer carrier. I hope to be able to afford a wireless video camera so we can use our remote control system better. and then it would be a robot almost autonamous robot. hehehe cept we would still control it from someplace else we are gonna have a suspension and everything foamy beer sux. :cheers

Am I the only one sick at this trend to call anything with a motor a robot? That thing is just a non-wireless RC car, dammit.

It might probably be just an rc car with a wire but its made out of a floppy drive
biggrin.gif

How nerdy is that?

Back