How to MAKE a modboard ?

Well, I have a 21pin (with 64pins IC) Model 2 Saturn.

I would try a normal modboard, but it costs almost 50 brazilian bucks plus shipping

and if it doesn´t work, trashed money because I don´t know anyone here that have a Saturn and want a modboard.

so build one probably would cost much less than buy one.

Somebody got the schemes and list of components ? :rolleyes: :cool:

thanks !! :)

I think you're on your own, man. There was a topic about this a while back - the problem isn't duplicating the board layout, but the logic and information that's on the chip.

Originally posted by it290@Nov 23, 2003 @ 09:33 PM

I think you're on your own, man. There was a topic about this a while back - the problem isn't duplicating the board layout, but the logic and information that's on the chip.

outch !

I forgot this "little" detail :(

hum...

well, thanks ! :thumbs-up:

Well, it is possible if you've got digital oscilloscope (one of those analog-to-digital PC cards), Saturn schematic circuit, and helluva much time.

What about dumping the ROM and burning to a new chip? Anyone ever think about doing that ?

The controller used on the modboards will almost certainly have the security fuse burned, making it impossible to read the contents. If you have the right equipment and knowledge, it is possible to "strip" the chip (etch the top of the casing, exposing the silicon) and solder the fuse shut, but that's an "if you knew how, you wouldn't be asking here" type of operation.

Hmm... why dumping the IC program is the first thing to go? What about writing microcode it by yourself? Or even connecting your PC as a gigantic modboard...

Basically, recording signal from CD-board to motherboard while inserting backup and original is a simple way to get difference between'em (signals, not CDs). And then all we need is to generate right signal in the right time....

The "fuse" in a 16C54 isnt the same as a physical fuse.

By milling the epoxy and using fuming nitric you can expose the silicon die of the PIC. You would then proceed to cover the ROM area of the mcu and expose the

"fused" security bit to UV light thus wiping it and allowing the PIC to be read in.

BTW , yes the PIC16C54's or their EPM equivalents are read protected , and so are the PAL's so they would need reverse engineering too.

An easier way (not that its easy for the layman) would be to hook up a decent speed logic analyser to the 20/1 pin cd mech ribbon cable.

If i remember correctly , only 7 of these I/O lines are actually interfaced to .. and only 3 of them are actually spliced. Once hooked up , you would log the data streams transmitted and recreate them with a similar MCU/PLD setup.

Thats my 2 pence anyway .. not that anyone seems interested :(

MrS

That's not true.

I am interested, but I just don't have the expertise or equipment to do it.

Yeah, most people do not have a proper logic analyzer laying around. I wouldn't mind having one, but new units are quite expensive, cheap used ones often (almost as a rule) lack software/manual/cables/etc, and homebrewing one is arguably a much bigger project than making a Saturn modboard.

Well, Surfin7, if you haven't gotten the hint yet after everything is said and done it would still be cheaper for you to buy a MOD chip then to make it. :blink:

Originally posted by g8crapachino@Dec 7, 2003 @ 12:12 PM

Well, Surfin7, if you haven't gotten the hint yet after everything is said and done it would still be cheaper for you to buy a MOD chip then to make it. :blink:

yeah !

even buying a "modable" Saturn and a modboard would be cheaper :blink:

edit: smile :p

Back