How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

:blink: I'm not sure how I should take that last post. I understand you have been doing this for years and I can see why you would have soooo much frustration. I guess it's just your passion and obvious determination to figure this out. To be honest, while I was take down the voltages for the circuit breakdown I was doing, I really don't have any reason to believe that my modboard actually is working the way it should. But I went ahead and did it. Hell I don't even think it will ever be use but this is something that I'm really interested in solving, per-say. If I can get my hands on an actual 32pin SS then I will compare the two the best that I can; continuity, voltages, etc.... What can I say I just like doing that kinda stuff. If I can help the least bit I'll try. :cheers

Originally posted by jammerboy@Apr 28, 2004 @ 10:28 AM

:agree I know your frustration. I own a 64 SS and I personally have no reason to believe any of the others that say their 64 SS actually work.

I believe that the old posts regarding 64 pin Saturns being successfully modded were using mods that worked in 64 pin Saturns. AFAICT, the mods available these days just aren't compatible. The ones from Jandaman and perhaps from here may be compatible, I don't know as I haven't tried them yet.

I don't understand why it isn't suppose to work but they're not.

Either it's because they are much harder to install and people get it wrong, or it's because of some incompatability. I think it's probably the latter because I've had success modding a 64 pin Saturn with a Gamegizmo mod and then failure trying a Lan-Kwei (or was it Lik-Sang?) mod straight afterwards.

I think and don't quote me but I think Mal said he had switched the CD Boards out of a 32pin SS and a 64pin SS and the mod or just the Saturn its self worked fine, so why isn't this mod working then.... :huh:

Yeah, I've tried making Frankensaturns before and it seems to work fine. When changing between a 64 and 32 pin CD board you've just got to remember to keep the twisted ribbon cable.

The last Saturn that I traded was originally had a Sanyo CD board and PC trap that I swapped with a 32 pin CD board.

Well I don't have the answer so what I'm doing is just my part and maybe someone can figure it out. In the mean time I'm looking for a 32pin SS.

Best of luck finding the right Saturn...

or the right mod board. ;)

Originally posted by jammerboy@Apr 28, 2004 @ 12:19 PM

:blink: I'm not sure how I should take that last post.

I'm basically just trying to tell people that there is no black and white answer to this. I found out all I know by trial and error and my limited experience is all that I can offer. :)

It was also to try to explain why some 64 pin Saturns have been modded successfully in the past and why people may be having problems with them now.

Originally posted by mal@Apr 27, 2004 @ 09:27 PM

AFAICT, the mods available these days just aren't compatible. The ones from Jandaman and perhaps from here may be compatible, I don't know as I haven't tried them yet.

Well I just purchase one of the version 2's (ModChips) from here hopefully they'll work. :hehehe: If not I'll try to find the difference between the 2 versions of modchips I'll have. According to the picture posted on that site I'll need an extra ribbon cable; hopefully that one will come with an extra one.

I'm really quite confident that they will work in 64 pin Saturns. :)

And yes, they do come with an extra ribbon cable.

anyone done JP consoles?

I have several with 00001(?) to later white Saturn.

When I opened them all they all looked little bit different with earlier one tends to be messy inside with wires every where...

I already have development Saturn but wouldn't mind another one so I can hook it up to our guest room TV.

cheers

The only Japanese consoles that I've modded had a slightly different 32 pin IC CD board (when compared to US and Euro Saturns) that did require the signal wire to be soldered to the 32 pin IC.

I've never had a japanese 64 pin IC CD board or a Sanyo CD board Saturn in my posession, but centaur2 (on page 7 of this thread) managed to mod a Sanyo CD Saturn that didn't have the PC trap board. Unfortunately the links to the pics he took are now dead. :(

I have Jandaman's mod chip from last year but never got around to install it. With 9 JP Saturn and 2 US and 1 PAL - ok both US and PAL are junk for parts salvage - never got around to decide which one to mod. :) Why I have all these Saturn I have no idea... Guess I really don't want to mess with my JP Consoles so I will do my US Saturn but the one isn't junk is sealed brand new so I don't want to open that one either. Leaving Skeleton, Sonic and prototype alone I have to decide between a white JP(M2) or two grey JP(M1).

I believe white Saturn is generally 32pin model, right? From memory the ribbon was not twisted unlike grey Saturn. One interesting thing about grey Saturn is one has the PSU attached to the top half of shell connected by cable while the other one has the PSU attached to M/B by pins like white Saturn.

Would love to hear from anyone who successfully installed Jandaman's mod chip into white JP Saturn.

Been delaying the mod ever since my baby girl's arrival so not sure when I will have time to do the mod... oh well....

cheers

Originally posted by dj898@Apr 29, 2004 @ 01:23 PM

Would love to hear from anyone who successfully installed Jandaman's mod chip into white JP Saturn.

As long as it's a 32 pin IC on the CD board (which you seem confident that it is) there should be no problems with using one of Jandaman's mods.

AFAIK, no one has had any problems modding a 32 pin Saturn unless they've botched the installation or been sent a dead mod.

64 pin Saturns, however, are a completely different story.

since the installation link post earlier used JVC V-Saturn and I have the same model will try on that Saturn with Jandman's mod chip.

let's hope I'll have spare time this weekend...

cheers

Hey Guys. Purchased a Model 2 saturn off of forcemajeure, and just got my jandaman modchip yesterday. I got a 32pin ic, and i linked A and B, soldered 5v to the power point 2nd from the back. Anyways, originals work fine, but all backups come up as music cd's. Guys got any ideas?I have jiggled the modchip around, puled it out some, pushed it in all the way, and haven't had much like. I believe it is set to 0014.

Could it be possible it is a dead mod? How would I check? Thanks!

Thanks!

The chip will no longer boot originals, i have tried a+b, direct to 14th pin, pulling the chip out a little, 0019, 0014, nothing seems to work. Would it be suggested to speak to jandaman? I think this mod is defective, looks in horrible shape.

Considering that you're trying to mod a 32 pin Saturn (which should be easy) and that you've tried all sorts of things to get it to work, I'd be leaning towards it being a dead mod.

i just got my mod from jandaman, and i have a model 2 saturn, with round buttons, and 21-pin.

it has 2 wires soldered to it. a blue 1 soldered to the A point and a red 1 beside the B point, and a black one thas not soldered at all, for the power supply, i guess..

i read on the first page that you can solder the A and B points together.

i was just wondering if theres a guide with pics and everything to guide thru the process.

so i tried linking A and B together and i connected the red wire to the 2nd pin from the top, of the power supply.

original booted once or twice but backup nothing. i didnt actually solder the points cuz my damn solder iron just died :angry:

14 is soldered, should i try 19? or should i try solering the A point to the chip on the board?

any help is appreciated.

:( Well it's been a week and I still haven't received this supposed version 2 of the ModChip. I'm growing OLD with anticipation; I just hope I'm not let down. I've always been skeptic about these kinda things (it's almost to good to be true)! But I think this time I'll try and hold my judgement until I received that MC! I'll let you guys know if my 64pin IC mod works as soon as I receive and install the board. I'm going to bed now! :sleep: Hear from you all later!

Attachments

• modchip2.jpg
    modchip2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 219
  • modchip2.jpg
    modchip2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 205
  • modchip2.jpg
    modchip2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 226
It is pretty simple. Run the power wire to the 5 Volt line on the power supply. Conenect A and B. Have the ribbon connected with exposed metal facing the notched side of the slots. If it doesn't work with 14 try it with 19. Make sure the power wire is not going to come out. If you see from my picture, my modboard exploded(they do burn) when the power wire(5V) came loose and hit the power switch(120V). My saturn was connected to the modbaord so it exploded too.

Attachments

• modlab.jpg
    modlab.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 255
  • modlab.jpg
    modlab.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 261
  • modlab.jpg
    modlab.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 257
Since there is have been revisions of the saturn would it be possible to get a range of dates that saturns were manufactured that would guarantee you get the 32 pin IC?

I bought another Saturn and it is also a 32pin Saturn, the info on it is:

Mode NO MK-80000A

Serial NO AE66011341

Made in Malaysia

September 1996

So far that is one saturn made in August 96 in Taiwan and one in September 96 made in Malaysia.

Also, this is just some speculation, but for those trying to use the mods from jandaman on a 64 pin Saturn, perhaps the 0014 bridge needs to be the one used since the 64 pin saturns are older and that 0014 bridge is for use with the older saturn lens's.

Back