How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

Well, I just had my 32 pin open to redo my region switch last night and couldn't find an LED spot anywhere, so I guess it is just on the 64 pin model.

I got my modchip from www.gocybershopelectronics.com yesterday, and installed it successfully after a littler trial & error. Since I ran into a couple of different things that aren't mentioned in this thread, I thought I'd share my experiences a little.

I have a Model 2, 32 pin CD Controller Board IC chip saturn. Yes, the easy kind!

First off, I connected the A and B points on the mod with a solder bridge after taking off the blue wire. Then, I soldered on an insulated alligator clip to the power wire.

The next thing I neglected to do was take a look at the ribbon connectors on the main board and the CD Controller board. If I had looked closely, I would have seen that the ribbon can only be inserted one way on either connector, unlike the mod board ribbon connector, which has contacts on both sides of the connector. If I had looked closely, I would have inserted the mod chip and ribbon correctly the first time!

Once the ribbon cable and the modchip were inserted properly, I clipped the power wire to the 5V post on the *underside* of the powersupply circuit board. This just seemed like a more elegant solution, that's the only reason I did it this way.

Then I tested the saturn, and found that it went to the cd control screen, and I had one Green Sphere on the right side, and one green square on the left side. I thought I should readjust the ribbon cable connections in case one was pushed too far in.

Success! All is well in saturn backup land now.

Bootnut

I have *finally* modded one of my Saturns
smile.gif
Thank you, mal.

Model MK-80000A

SEGA Enterprises, Ltd. IV

This has the square 64? pin chip on the board.

Soldered A+B and point 0014

The cdrom cable has the metal part facing down and the modchip is installed with the protruding parts facing outwards.

I had 2 different sources of modchips, Lik-Sang and Xinga. One worked and the other didn't but I didn't seperate them so I don't know which was which, DOH!

Anyways, my Saturn now boots backups and originals.

I have 2 other Saturns to mod and I'll try the Xinga chips on them. Hopefully they will work as these are what I sell and I haven't had any complaints yet (perhaps customers think it's a problem on their side???)

If anyone needs saturn modchips, I'm currently shipping the Xinga model

Anyone else wanna test one??

www.jandaman.com

hey janda. i would be happy to purchase one from you if i knew for sure that they would work with a 64 pin saturn. is there any way you can test for sure, because i have a 64 pin saturn, and a non-working lik-sang purchased chip and i really want to get it working.

The only real way to test to see if a mod works with a 64 pin Saturn is to install it in one.

It sure does suck, but I'm not giving up on this.

I'm planning on buying some mods from different retailers to find out if any of them work with 64 pin Saturns.

Satwebmaster33 has also come up with something that might be quite useful.

Not that it closing down means much now.. I got one (it arrived after Game Gizmo closed) and it doesn't work on my 64 pin Saturn.

Pin 8 and the bridge don't work. Music only. Which is a bummer.

Hey all. This thread has been really helpful for me, so I just thought I'd add my 2 cents to the discussion:

I've just finished modding a 64-pin late model 1 unit. I first ordered a modchip from www.saturn-planet.com, but this didn't work. It has exactly the same markings that Xai mentions earlier in this thread. I then ordered a new modchip from Gamegizmo, and received it the same day they closed down. This one works perfectly! With also the Action Replay and a 50/60hz switch now finally in place, I'm one happy Saturn owner :)

BTW I've informed the Saturn Planet guy about the problem with the 1st modchip, and he promised to look into it. (With Gamegizmo gone now though, It's a bit tough...)

Originally, I soldered to pin 8 and then when it didn't work I bridged point A and B. It was easier (for me) to test pin 8 then to desolder A & B.

And neither option works. Both leave me with a CD player for both new and backup games. So, I've removed the chip and have a standard Saturn again.

I'm guessing GamGizmo ran out of the stock that worked with the 64 pin chip..

-- EDIT - From the above post, looks like I was unlucky - I got my mod yesterday, several days after they'd closed -

Another succesfull modboard installation
smile.gif
... on a 32pin IC model2 saturn..

I had some probs... I was getting no cd spin at all, I tryed all the possible combinations... and after all the problem was just that the modboard is pushed right because of the bus cable... accidentally I happened to touch the modboard and the lens started moving.. that's when I realized the problem...

I was always ending up on cd-player with 2 green cube's and "Checking Disc" message...

For those who might have the same probs... try moving the modboard, or re-attaching the ribbon cable.. not inserting all way in.. (I know this has been already said, but referring it again may be worthy for someone...)

Thanks mal for your method
smile.gif

This is rather strange..

Decided to take another look at the mod, so pulled all the solder off and re-did the bridge and power wire. Nothing.. Still music.. Wiggled it and seated it differently.. Nothing.. Tried doing so with every game I could find.. Still nothing. Until I used "PGA Tour '97". First try it booted, but the chip was only barely seated. And thus, didn't stay in. Nothing else has booted, but I have got PGA Tour to boot twice more. No success with anything else.

Which means the contacts are most likely still dirty. Even though they have been cleaned.. Which also means the chip may work.

So, what's the best stuff to clean the contacts with?? I have cleaned them, but since the contacts are whole, they must still be dirty or have some sort of film covering them. Maybe another clean will fix it. If it does, it may also be a reason why some of the chips don't work in a 64 pin Saturn. The contacts may be more sensitive, but I can't think of any other reason why it would act as it has after been cleaned..

Any other ideas?

Hi. Can anyone help me with this email from ncsx.com?

"Hello Mike, we asked one of our employees to check

with Lan Kwei and they told us that they sell the same

chip that Lik-Sang sells which is also the only Saturn

chip on the market at this time.

A few years ago, there were two mod boards for the Saturn

but the original manufacturer went out of business. The new

chip is only compatible with Saturn consoles that have the

DIP style drive controller but your Saturn console uses a PLCC

chip which was not able to be modified."

I've been reading this thread hoping to shed some light on my mod issue. I have a 64 pin MK80000A. I don't understand what the PLCC chip is and why it can't be modded. I can post a picture of my Saturn if it will help. I'm really getting confused so any help is much appreciated.

Now I have 21 pin mod chip which console will be better one to install?

white Japan Saturn or M2 US Saturn?

Majority of my collection - including backups - are JP but do have a few US and EU titles.

TIA

dj898

Back