How to upgrade my par......

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Anyone know how I can upgrade my PAR? I can upgrade my Gameshark for PSX and N64 fine, just can't get this one to work. Do I need a different cord or sumthing? The one end of it fits onto the top of the cart fine and plugs into the PC fine. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

OH!, and BTW. What's the newest version of PAR for Saturn?

Anyone know how I can upgrade my PAR? I can upgrade my Gameshark for PSX and N64 fine, just can't get this one to work. Do I need a different cord or sumthing? The one end of it fits onto the top of the cart fine and plugs into the PC fine.

All older PSX/Saturn AR hardware is designed to plug into a commslink port, not a standard PC parallel port. Plugging it into a standard parallel port is not a good idea (i.e. there's some potential for damage). The person at Datel who decided to use the same connector probably deserves to be slapped. Your options for upgrading a Saturn AR are:

1) Get a commslink card and use the official tools. This is only an option if you have an ISA slot to put it in, however.

2) Build a parallel port to commslink adapter. For this to work, I think you'd have to write your own flashing software (or hack the official one) to use the parallel port instead of commslink.

3) Remove (desolder) the flash ROMs, write the new firmware with an external ROM burner, then put them back into the AR.

4) Send the cart to someone else who can use one of the above methods.

As for what version is the latest, that depends on the specific type of cart you have (Datel vs. EMS, PAR vs. PAR+ vs. AR4M+, etc.)

Thanks, I agree with the guy at Datel being slapped. I guess I am screwed on the whole thing unless sumone here could do it for me. I could just send you the PAR and you could flash the sucker. If anyone could help me out in this department it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help ExCyber, later.

Originally posted by BJammzz@April 29 2002,06:59

I guess I am screwed on the whole thing unless someone here could do it for me.

Why is it so important that you get it done?

Back