i got Colour 60hz using RF

something really cool just happened for me.

since my 32x only just got fixed i havent used it since doing the 60hz mod to my megadrive.

i dont have an rgb or scart lead for my megadrive nor does my tv have those inputs, so i have to use an r/f cable which results in black and white when switching to 60hz.

just setting up the 32x before, i switched to 60hz using a regular megadrive cart and i got colour through the r/f. i tried another cart and it worked aswell.

however 32x carts do not work properly. they are colour but they go all jumpy as you could expect some kind of malfunction doing this anyway.

i dont know of any side effects to your 32x doing this but i'm game enough to continue until i can get documents on how to get the megadrive to change the video encoding with the 50/60 switch.

hang on a minute...

no one but me would even give a crap about this becuase you all are europeans and americans right? you all have your fancy pants scart inputs...

Actually I'd be quite interested.

I cannot find a MegaDrive2 SCART for use on my American CDX...

Any help on how you managed it is appriciated... don't really wanna have to buy a new TV for the CDX...

Unless you know where to get a SCART o.o

i knew if anyone responded it'd be you shakey
laugh.gif

megadrive scart cables usaully here but they are temporarily unavailable it seems. i don't like the chances of them getting more with nintendo sueing them but keep checking...

i don't think this will work for you though, will a 32x unit fit a CDx?

anyway all i did was plug the 32x into the megadrive 2 as normal and switch it to 60hz.

with the 32x, the megadrive's a/v out socket that usaully connects to the tv instead connects to an a/v in on the back of the 32x.

the 32x has a separate a/v out of its own that connects to the tv.

so the megadrive sends the 60hz signal to the 32x BEFORE the tv.

the problem with the megadrive is that when changing to 60hz it wasn't changing the colour encoding to ntsc, resulting in black and white. But somehow the 32x corrects the colour encoding, allowing you to have colour through an r/f cable.

finally i've found a use for the 32x.

That link says RGB... would I need a full-on PAL SCART?

And I don't have a 32X I'm afraid... never bothered picking one up, tho I'd like to out of curiosity...

It supposedly works on the CDX, but some say it doesn't... hmmm....

Not on my PAL TV.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but to me A/V refers to composite video and stereo audio. :huh

I'm not sure what you mean shakey jake, but what i meant was this; If you have a PAL megadrive and you mod it for 60hz, it will still display in PAL colour, but in 60hz instead of 50. Therefore you can use any connection to hook it up to your pal tv - RF, Composite or RGB, they will all display in colour.

If you have a PAL megadrive and you mod it for 60hz, it will still display in PAL colour, but in 60hz instead of 50. Therefore you can use any connection to hook it up to your pal tv - RF, Composite or RGB, they will all display in colour.

bull fucken shit it displays colour.
angry.gif

pal megadrive>60hz mod>pal tv>r/f cable> BLACK & WHITE

you get colour ONLY if you either use an RGB or scart cable.

otherwise you have to change the VIDEO ENCODER to an ntsc colour signal.

i'm saying here that using a 32x instead of an rgb or scart lead will give you colour.

how about doing the mod for yourself and test under these conditions before making such a statement hmm? :huh

Yeah, Wiseman is right. I have that problem and i cant find RGB Cable for my MD2 pal or a conector which fits the MD2 RGB output to make myself one, so i think i´ll try buying a 32x to be able to play 60hz Colour.
smile.gif

Ok that is od, so it actually switches colour modes and not just Refresh rates. Other systems do not do this when you mod them for 60hz and i thought you were getting NTSC 60hz confused with PAL 60hz as they are quite commonly mistaken to be the same thing when they are clearly not.

Settle down people.

BTW there is a standard called pal 60 which allows pal to recieve 60hz signals instead of 50. whether your tv is managing to use this or your TV can accept both signal formats are two small possibilities

Some ps1 and ps2 mods only output a b/w picture when running a 60hz import game on a pal machine, using an rf lead.

I was lucky when I got my ps1 modded years ago, because the chip installed outputs a colour 60hz picture through the rf lead, in colour.

I need a megadrive scart cable and also a snes one. I wonder if an N64 scart will do the snes, if I find one?

hang on a minute...

no one but me would even give a crap about this becuase you all are europeans and americans right? you all have your fancy pants scart inputs...

I'm a poor Aussie so I'm definitely interested. I have a few dumb questions about 32X since I've never owned one.

Does 32X come with AV cables or RF?

Do Japanese Mega Drive carts fit in the 32X or do you have to widen the slot? Is this easy to do?

How much do they go for these days?

Originally posted by seganizm@Sep 10, 2003 @ 11:52 AM

Does 32X come with AV cables or RF?

Do Japanese Mega Drive carts fit in the 32X or do you have to widen the slot? Is this easy to do?

How much do they go for these days?

To answer your first question, the 32X comes with a cable to connect it to your Genesis/MD. You use the R/F cable from your Gen/MD to connect it to your TV. Of course, if you have a Model 1, the cable from your Gen/MD won't fit in the 32X.

I got mine for about $6 US on eBay, but it didn't come with the cables, the metal pieces, or the spacer. The metal pieces are useless, you can get away without the spacer, and you can rig up your own cables if necessary. You can even get away without an extra power supply if you hook up the +5V pins on the A/V connector.

actually, the 32x included an r/f cable.

otherwise how the hell are you going to connect it to a megadrive 1.

the 32x came with a cable to connect it to the megadrive 2, an r/f cable and a patch cable for the megadrive 1 so it could use the new sockets.

Back