I have a cravin for some rpgs

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Jun 23, 2003 @ 04:57 AM

Resident Lurker

Try Final Fantasy Tactics. It's different... turn-based strategy battle system. I recently started playing it and I'm enjoying it. The music is excellent too.

Say it again filbert.

Wee wee!

haha sorry I just love that one

That's a shame, because it prolly means you won't like Tactics Ogre. Great game, with a great moral dilemma. You know the kind where you massacre a village of innocent people to further your political agendas?
wink.gif

Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, FFX = The most 'recent' RPG's i've been playing. All are great. Nay, all be gold. Albeit the latter's somewhat dreary story and characters. But hey, highly reccommended.

Xenogears - I can't stress this enough. Just play it. Great story. Great characters. Inconsistent presentation. A flawed masterpiece. Any RPG dealing with Schizophrenia, God, and a 10,000 year history gets my vote.

Suikoden 1 & 2: Though the latter is a step upward in story telling and game design, the former wins by sheer nostaligia. I love that goddamn smell.
tongue.gif

And don't be fooled by Suikoden 3 - it's not Suikoden. Just another tiresome RPG.

All the greats have been pretty much mentioned, however Golden Sun is overrated. Sure it's 'fun.' But it doesn't deserve the credit it gets, what with a mediocre battle sytem, dire characterisation and a story that doesn't end. Ahhh...I love sequels...

Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 are also pretty good if you're into tactical RPGs, and Front Mission 3 is brilliant (sci-fi mecha-themed).

Suikoden 3 is alright, but it gets lame near the end.'

I have been playing Morrowind for a while, it is an excellent game, alh=thoyugh if you are looking for a linear story, your out of luck here.

CT I have to say is the most well put together game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Its successor, CC was not a very good game in any respect, but the music was phenomenally composed.

Phantasy stars are a bit hard to go back and play now, but for Nostalgias sake, the setting and plots of the games are pure genius. Especialy IV, but I wonder why Sega does not capitalize on its ability to make excellent RPGs.. Its not like they cant.

Well, most good RPG's have already been mentioned but heres my personal checklist of RPG's you shouldn't miss (in some sort of half assed order of goodness)...

Suikoden Series (PS, PS2)

Shining Force Series (MD/Genesis, Saturn)

Secret/Legend of Mana Series (SNES, PS, GB)

Chrono Series (SNES, PS)

Xenogears (PS)

Final Fantasy Series (SNES, PS, PS2)

Legaia Series (PS, PS2)

The Eldar Scrolls Series - Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind (PC)

Terranigma (SNES)

Jade Cocoon Series (PS, PS2)

Golden Sun (GBA)

Harvest Moon (SNES, GB, PS, N64) Not technically an RPG, but good fun!

Tales of Phantasia/Destiny Series (SNES, PS)

And ones to avoid like the plague....

Thousand Arms (PS)

Eternal Ring (PS2)

Evergrace (PS2)

Any one of these games would keep you occupied!

Back