I have a cravin for some rpgs

Gallstaff

Established Member
I haven't played a good RPG since final fantasy 7. Can anyone reccomend some RPGs, out for consoles now not like phantasy star or anything that are worth playing? I need my fix.

Most of the good RPG's are from the older systems... the new ones kinda suck ass when it comes down to it.

Skies of Arcadia is supposed to be pretty good... for either DC or GC.

hehe, yeah The RPGs now are starting to get very bland. I liked the dark cloud demo i played. I heard Dark Cloud 2 is a good RPG. If not play Xenogears again.

Golden Sun for the GBA is reportedly pretty good and appears to be very traditional.

Ah yes! golden sun is an exelent game. Many things remind me of shining force III. Like characters and the shop.

Originally posted by SegaSquad@Jun 22, 2003 @ 06:26 AM

Ah yes! golden sun is an exelent game. Many things remind me of shining force III. Like characters and the shop.

thats because it's made by the same people.......

:smash

blink.gif

Lunar games... Final Fantasy games for SNES... Tales of Destiny Games... Xenogears or Saga.... Zelda games *more adventure but fun*...

Argh, I really tried getting into .hack, the game is so goddamn boring. I can see it as a niche gamer title, but I really couldn't get into it. It's so repetitive, and it's not fun repetition.

I've recently busted out my SNES again, bought a used copy of Chrono Trigger and am having a blast. I say, play it on the system it was meant to be played on, no emulation. So it doesn't have the PSX movies, so what? God bless old Square rpgs... BTW, did you know you can use N64/Gamecube cables with the SNES? I'm now playin CT in S-Video glory! It looks so good, I've set up my SNES permanently on my home theater setup instead of my golden oldies setup.

Anyway, I suggest going back to basics. Get the old school stuff on SNES/Genesis, maybe even SMS or NES, depending on taste. I find CT to still be epic, but since I've gotten better at games, and I have a much longer attention span, it goes by smoothly and at a brusk pace. Good times..

Originally posted by tsumake@Jun 22, 2003 @ 04:40 PM

Argh, I really tried getting into .hack, the game is so goddamn boring. I can see it as a niche gamer title, but I really couldn't get into it. It's so repetitive, and it's not fun repetition.

I've recently busted out my SNES again, bought a used copy of Chrono Trigger and am having a blast. I say, play it on the system it was meant to be played on, no emulation. So it doesn't have the PSX movies, so what? God bless old Square rpgs... BTW, did you know you can use N64/Gamecube cables with the SNES? I'm now playin CT in S-Video glory! It looks so good, I've set up my SNES permanently on my home theater setup instead of my golden oldies setup.

Anyway, I suggest going back to basics. Get the old school stuff on SNES/Genesis, maybe even SMS or NES, depending on taste. I find CT to still be epic, but since I've gotten better at games, and I have a much longer attention span, it goes by smoothly and at a brusk pace. Good times..

Of course CT is better on the original system... It is way too slow loading on the psx... So the movies arent a plus if the game is slow.

Final Fantasy VII was the greatest game ever, until I completed Chrono Cross last August. Then I played PSII, fell in love, and now I'm playing Phantasy Star IV.

Phantasy Star IV is the best game I have EVER played! Easily on par with Chrono Cross.

Play CC and PSIV (after you've played PSII, and MOST of PS). CT was a bit of a disapointment, although I have an urge to play it now....

FF8 damn it that game was far better than 7 but then again you have two crowds ones that think 8 is better and ones that think 7 is. but chrono cross is a great game.

Well, there are the Black Isle's RPGs for PC, like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and my favorite of them: Planescape Torment

Lately I've been playing Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn, but it's too damn short... I got to CD 2 after 2 hours and a half of game play

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Jun 23, 2003 @ 12:33 AM

FF8 damn it that game was far better than 7 but then again you have two crowds ones that think 8 is better and ones that think 7 is. but chrono cross is a great game.

Umm no way... FF8 was a crap love relationship bs storyline... There was nothing in that game but graphics..

FF7 = way better.. Character development/storyline/FMVs = WINNER
smile.gif

:flamethrower:

Here's the ones I've played and think they're good too:

GBA:

Golden Sun

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

DC:

Grandia II

Skies of Arcadia

PSX:

Star Ocean

FFIX

I'm just not mentioning the older RPGs here, but a few have already been mentioned like Phantasy Star II and IV. I'm pretty sure that you've played those or heard of them, but also deserving of mention are, FF II(US), FF III(US), Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Earthbound. If you haven't played any of those 16bit RPGs, go play them.

Try Final Fantasy Tactics. It's different... turn-based strategy battle system. I recently started playing it and I'm enjoying it. The music is excellent too.

Back