I want to make an rpg

lordofduct

Established Member
Ok, i am in the process of writing up a scenario script and designing characters for an rpg... its a futuristic cyberpunk rpg with a lil' fantasy tossed in. The fantasy really isnt gonna come to light till the end of the game, so it holds a cyberpunk feel story wise through out the whole game. I'm keeping a visual design that looks like everything is drawn or painted and interacts as so. The characters are all knowledgeable in the idea that they are drawings. Now, where im getting laid up at is how im going to make this game coding wise. Should i write in a language or should i use a program like my friend here at my office plays with. its called gamemaker, visit www.gamemaker.nl to see it. What do you all think, i also would love to see it go on something like the Dreamcast but im not that knowledgeable in programming, so that is more of an after thought.

I've always wanted to make an RPG. What I'll most likely do, is base it off one of my fanfics.

Speaking of which, Des, have you read my fic yet? ;)

ummm code it in a language.....make it all custom, will make it a better game in the end. If you really think this out and make a solid 15-20hr rpg that is real fun, then it'll be known worldwide and you will be famous ;). Just make sure and copyright everything, haha.

But ya, I vote make a custom engine, then just make the game w/ that engine. WOuld prob. be easiest just to make a 2D game.....maybe sumone could then port it to Saturn :blink: :beerchug

oh its definately gonna be 2d... already planned that up front. I love how 2d looks over 3d. Also i wanted to see it ported to DC cause i wanna use highly detailed sprites. With what i got planned im not sure if the saturn even with its strength being in 2d could handle it.

im using alot of mainstream music for it so i dont know about copyright, it wont feel right for me if i dont use the music that inspired the game, FLA, wumpscut, pigface... these are who are gonna be on the soundtrack, arts gonna be done by me and my favorite artist Andrew Hildebrand.

Its going to be a while till im finished (still gotta work, go to college... not alot of free time) but im gonna keep posting on here with updates. When i finally decide how i code it and get my first scenario done up completely ill share it to see what you all think.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 20, 2004 @ 08:50 AM

Speaking of which, Des, have you read my fic yet?  ;)

I don't believe it ...

Who's always complaining about his threads being hijacked ? :rolleyes:

Regarding the RPG, if you don't have any experience in programming, you should start with something simple like gamemaker (there was also something named click and play iirc).

But I'm not sure if the DC port will be easy ...

i can program... far from that good though, ill probably stick with gamemaker... i know i could still probably pull some really pretty things off with it. Especially seeing how the kid im gonna have working on the art with me is just awesome as it is. You all have to see this kids work, its amazing. hes gonna draw up the hero and antihero soon, when hes got them done ill post them here so you can see the beautiful work he does....

oh and its nothing like manga style or nothing, this kid is fresh and new, all his own. Seriousily i feel he is going to be the next amazing thing in the art world. hes got the backin' to do it too, no starving artist here, his mommy will support him till his death bed, the lazy shit will take advantage of it too, just so he can paint.

Originally posted by Cloud121+Jul 20, 2004 @ 08:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloud121 @ Jul 20, 2004 @ 08:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Speaking of which, Des, have you read my fic yet? ;)[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Runik
@Jul 20, 2004 @ 09:41 PM

I don't believe it ...

Who's always complaining about his threads being hijacked ? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

:eek:wned

hijacking threads? does he actually whine about that... whatever, its community, i like seeing threads spark up good conversation... thats why i was upset he got angry about the thing that happened in his post a pic of your house. But i didnt know he was notorious for this....

oh yeah cloud i've had a plan for a couple days to add you to my rpg as an enemy, your one of the most memorable members here to me. if you want to draw you own pic of yourself go for it... im thinking of putting cameo's of alot of people here, as like npc's and baddies and the sort... you all are such characters here. Racketboy is one ive been thinking of actually, weird guy he is.

As long as you try and stick to C and like SDL or OpenGL (as long as you keep in mind that the KOS GL isn't anything like full GL), it shouldn't be hard to port it to DC. Unless its too slow or too bloated. There are lots of C + SDL ports to DC.

Anyway, Cloud would be the easiest enemy ever. All you have to do is insult his Mac, and his Gamecube controllers, and he'll go nuts. He'll practically be blinded by rage.

mountaindud casts INSULTMAC

Cloud121 is paralyzed!

mountaindud attacks Cloud121

-125HP

Cloud121 is dead!

Alexvrb casts WITTYCOMMENT

mountaindud is confused!

I once again...

Hate you all... :lol:

Cloud121 lashes out at Alxvrb with WITTYCOMMENT.

Alexvrb is Immune...

Lord:

Why the hell you make me an enemy?! Make me a party member! :thumbs-up: Or you can pull a Seth like in PSIV....

HAHAHAHA, my mind is now exploding with ides for you all...

and your still an enemy cloud, i feel i could have fun with your character as an enemy... you'll be one of those not to hard to beat but seems to survive most the game, like the 3 chicks in grandia... and i so have to put in alexvrb and mountaindud's idea, you guys are instantly in the credits.

the hero's are all static characters, they are actually going to be modeled after my friends tara, andy, frank, and myself... all the pics in the game for the characters (you know the ones they usually have pop up when that person is talking) are going to be real pics of us, just altered a lil' so they'll still look good in low res and everything...

Cloud seems to want to be a party member in an RPG i just started and im putting cameo's of some sx'rs in. I thought an enemy would be a good thing. I liked alexvrb and mountainduds ideas for it with the mac thing. So i leave it up to you all, what do you think he should be.

(Im going with whatever the ruling is on by thursday or friday)

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jul 21, 2004 @ 03:40 AM

Anyway, Cloud would be the easiest enemy ever. All you have to do is insult his Mac, and his Gamecube controllers, and he'll go nuts. He'll practically be blinded by rage.

You forgot praising Sony for their excellent consoles. ;)

Back